Derivative Sketching: Rules & Tips

• Thread starter luznyr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary, the general rules for derivative sketching involve finding the critical points where the first derivative is equal to zero. The second derivative can then be used to determine if these points are maximum or minimum points. Inflection points can also be found by setting the second derivative to zero. The x and y intercepts of the function can also provide clues for constructing the graph. If given a graph of the function, you can work backwards to determine the polynomial that fits the data. T.P stands for Turning Points, which are the same as critical points.
luznyr
hey, i was wondering what were the general rules for derivative sketching such as T.P's going to X-ints etc. Thnx

Physics news on Phys.org
I know that X-ints means the x intercepts, but what does T.P stand for? Sorry, mental black.

Its just a sketch, so it doesn't have to be perfect, just the critical points correct and some what correctly shaped.

Say we have some function f. At all the values where the graph has a turning point, or changes from negative to positive/positive to negative gradient, that means its derivative at that point is equal to zero. Any points where the tangent is vertical, the derivative is approaching infinity.

Any intervals where the slope is positive, the derivative is positive. Where the slope is negative, derivative is negative.

EDIT: Ahh i see now, Turning Points :) Well yea there you go

ty, i also found this if anyone was having a similar problem

y = f(x) - y = f ’(x)
Max Point - x-intercept (above [x-axis]-below[x-axis])
Min Point - x-intercept (below [x-axis]-above[x-axis])
Inflection Point - Turning Point

I have no idea at all what that post means.

Figure out where the critical points are, which are the points where the first derivative is zero. Of course when the first derivative is zero you have a maximum or a minimum. You can determine if the crit point is a max or a min based on how the first derivative is CHANGING, which is the second derivative. Find the second derivative and evaluate it at the critical point and if it is negative (decreasing first derivative) then it is obviously a maximum and if it is positive then it is obviously a minimum. If the second derivative is ZERO when evaluated at a critical point then you have an inflection point that happens to have a first derivative of zero!

Now no you know where the peaks and valleys are. Now figure out where the inflection points are by setting the second derivative to zero and solving. Remember the inflection point is the point at which the function switches from concave up to concave down.

Also, you can find the x and y intercepts of the function.

All of these clues help you construct the graph.

thankyou .

i can't set dy/dx to 0 and solve etc as I'm not given a function, only a graph of the function, which then needs to be translated into, f'(x), f''(X) f'''(x) if possible.

Last edited:
Gib Z if u were wondering what it means, the max point x-coord on a graph of f(x) will be the x-int of f'(x) where the graph goes from above the x-axis (where the f(x) is +ve) to below the x-axis (where f(x) is -ve).

luznyr said:
thankyou .

i can't set dy/dx to 0 and solve etc as I'm not given a function, only a graph of the function, which then needs to be translated into, f'(x), f''(X) f'''(x) if possible.

well then you work backwards. find the zeros of the function, the maxima and minima, and the inflection points and you can determine the polynomial (if it's a polynomail) that fits the data.

Related to Derivative Sketching: Rules & Tips

What is a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a function at a specific point. It is the slope of the tangent line to the function at that point.

What is the purpose of sketching a derivative?

Sketching a derivative helps to visualize the behavior of a function and identify key features such as critical points, inflection points, and concavity. It also helps in understanding the relationship between a function and its derivative.

What are the rules for sketching a derivative?

The basic rules for sketching a derivative include using the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule to find the derivative of a function. Additionally, identifying the x-intercepts, critical points, and inflection points can aid in sketching the derivative.

What are some tips for sketching a derivative?

Some tips for sketching a derivative include practicing the basic rules, understanding the behavior of common functions such as polynomials, trigonometric functions, and exponential functions, and using technology such as graphing calculators to aid in the visualization process.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when sketching a derivative?

Some common mistakes to avoid when sketching a derivative include forgetting the negative sign in front of the derivative, confusing the power rule with the chain rule, and not simplifying the derivative expression before sketching. It is also important to double-check for accuracy and to label all key features on the graph.