Derivatives and Polynomial Functions

In summary, the problem involves finding a polynomial function f of degree n that satisfies certain conditions, including f'(x) being equal to 0 for different numbers of x depending on the parity of n. Using Rolle's Theorem, the polynomial (x-1)(x-2)(x-3)...(x-n) can be shown to work for the first condition. For the second and third conditions, simple functions such as f(x) = x and a function whose graph has only one point where the tangent is horizontal can be used. For the fourth condition, choosing specific values for n and k can lead to a solution.
mscbuck

Homework Statement

Show that there is a polynomial function f of degree n such that:

1. f('x) = 0 for precisely n-1 numbers x
2. f'(x) = 0 for no x, if n is odd
3. f'(x) = 0 for exactly one x, if n is even
4. f'(x) = 0 for exactly k numbers, if n-k is odd

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first one, I know with Rolle's Theorem that (x-1)(x-2)(x-3)...(x-n) would be a polynomial that worked since at x=1,2,3...n we have f(x) = 0, so that means between those intervals we must have a point where f'(x) = 0 up till [n-1, n], so that proves that.

I'm having trouble thinking about the other ones though. For #2, I was thinking that any odd function + a constant would work, but then I realized that it ignores possibility of f'(x) being negative + a constant = 0.

Any help is appreciated! Any hints at what kind of functions to think about? Thanks again!

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't overthink these.
For 2, what about f(x) = x?
For 3, can you think of a function whose graph has only one point where the tangent is horizontal.
For 4, starty by chosing a value of n, and choose a value of k so that n - k is odd. A good start might be n = 2 and k = 1.

Thanks a lot Mark44. I find my problem so far in this intro to analysis class is simply that I often approach problems the wrong way, or drastically over think them (like in this case!).

I was able to figure out 3 and 4 from your hints, thanks a lot!

Maybe this problem will help you realize that problems can sometimes have simple solutions. When you're looking for possible approaches, consider the simplest first (that have a chance of succeeding).

What are derivatives?

Derivatives are mathematical tools used to measure the rate of change of a function. It represents the slope of a tangent line at a specific point on a graph.

How are derivatives calculated?

Derivatives are calculated using the process of differentiation, which involves finding the limit of the slope of a secant line as the two points on the graph get closer and closer together.

What is the purpose of derivatives in mathematics?

Derivatives have many applications in mathematics, such as finding maximum and minimum values of a function, determining the concavity of a graph, and solving optimization problems.

What are polynomial functions?

Polynomial functions are algebraic expressions that contain variables raised to positive integer exponents. They can have multiple terms, and the degree of the polynomial is determined by the highest exponent in the expression.

How are derivatives used in polynomial functions?

Derivatives are used to find the slope of a polynomial function at a specific point, as well as to determine the concavity and inflection points of the graph. They are also useful in finding the maximum and minimum values of a polynomial function.