1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivatives of (e.g.) functions between matrices

1. Sep 8, 2009 #1
    Hi there all,

I've been doing some work to try and keep myself sharp over the holidays but I've reached a point where I'm doing maths I have no notes for, and one particular topic has me completely stuffed - a few more difficult derivatives, primarily between matrices.

http://www.dpmms.cam.ac.uk/site2002/Teaching/IB/AnalysisII/2008-2009/08sheet4.pdf [Broken]

This is my last worksheet and although I managed to fumble my way through the first 2 parts of Q6, I haven't got a clue how to approach Qns 2, the rest of 6, all of 7, 8, and 10 - i.e. the majority of the questions! I can't find the definition of a derivative for these situations anywhere online, nor for 'continuously differentiable' in cases other than R^n.

However much help I can get, even things like just definitions or an example of one of these questions would be really really appreciated, this is the only thing I can't seem to get moving on in all my work so the more assistance I can get the better.

Thankyou -very- much in advance!

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2009 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

For 2, the problem is to show that, for A [itex]\in[/itex] Mn, and f(A) = A4, that f is differentiable, and to find a formula for Df |A.

The usual way to find a derivative is to evaluate the limit of the difference quotient. That is, to evaluate this limit:
    [tex]\lim_{H \rightarrow 0}H^{-1}[f(A + H) - f(A)][/tex]

The obvious differences between this limit and the form you've no doubt seen before are 1) 0 is the nxn zero matrix, and 2) instead of dividing by h, we're multiplying by H-1.

This same tactic might be of help to you in #6 as well.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook