What Is the Correct Anti-Derivative of e^(x/2)?

  • Thread starter Thread starter in the rye
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 6K views
in the rye
Messages
83
Reaction score
6

Homework Statement


I am working on an integration by parts problem, and in order to work it I need to figure out the anti-derivative of ex/2. We've covered basic integration concepts, the definite/indefinite integral, u-sub, and integration by parts. Now, examining the derivative, I expect the anti-derivative to be 2ex/2, but I can't show my work on how I get here. I tried u-sub and I just get the same function.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Oh boy, misread. And answered too quickly - again. Sorry.

Dear Rye,

if you differentiate ##e^{x\over 2}## you get ## {1\over 2}e^{x\over 2}## so the ##2e^{x\over 2}## you found is indeed a primitive of ##e^{x\over 2}##.

You state you get the same function. Should n't be the case. If ##e^y## is a primitive of ##e^y## then the substitution ## y = {x\over 2}## and the chain rule give $$ {d \; e^y \over dx} = {d\; e^y \over dy} {dy\over dx} = {d \; e^y \over dy} \; {1\over 2} = {1\over 2} \; e^y \;$$

(but maybe I have no idea what u-subbing is ...)
 
Last edited:
in the rye said:

Homework Statement


I am working on an integration by parts problem, and in order to work it I need to figure out the anti-derivative of ex/2. We've covered basic integration concepts, the definite/indefinite integral, u-sub, and integration by parts. Now, examining the derivative, I expect the anti-derivative to be 2ex/2, but I can't show my work on how I get here. I tried u-sub and I just get the same function.

What is your problem? You say you used u-substitution and got the same function, which is fine, since your answer is correct!