1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two varibale function. Continuity, derivability and differentiability

1. Aug 22, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Discuss the continuity, derivability and differentiability of the function

[itex]f(x,y) = \frac{x^3}{x^2+y^2}[/itex] if (x,y)≠(0,0) and 0 otherwise

2. Relevant equations
    if f is differentiable then [itex]∇f.v=\frac{∂f}{∂v}[/itex]
    if f has both continuous partial derivative in a neighbourhood of [itex]x_0[/itex] then it's differentiable in [itex]x_0[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have no problem with continuity.
    For derivability i consider the definition of directional derivative in an arbitray direction (α,β)
    [itex]\frac{f(αt,βt)-f(0,0)}{t}=\frac{α^3t^3-0}{t^3}=α^3[/itex]
    all the directional derivatives exist.
    this equation [itex]∇f.v=\frac{∂f}{∂v}[/itex] tells me that the directional derivative should depend linearly on α and β which is not the case, f is not differentialble in [itex]x_0[/itex]

on the other hand it's easy to calculate the partial derivatives in a neighborood of (0,0) and see that they are continous.
    [itex]f(x,0)=x \ \ \ f(0,y)=0[/itex]
    [itex]\frac{∂}{∂x}f(x,0)=1 \ \ \ \frac{∂}{∂y}f(0,y)=0[/itex]

i get two different results with two different approaches and i can't figure out what's wrong with one of them, or both :tongue2:

any help is appreciated

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 22, 2014 #2
    The partial derivatives are not continuous. To see this, compute either of them at ##p \neq (0,0)## and take the limit as ##p \rightarrow 0##.

If I am not mistaken, what you showed is that the functions ## f_x(x,0), f_y(0,y)## of one variable (the other being fixed to zero) are continuous.

4. Aug 22, 2014 #3
    Oh i see what's the problem. Thanks a lot for the help :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted