1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivatives Problem (Calculus I)

1. Nov 7, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    find d/dt for a rectangle.

2. Relevant equations
    A=bh
    product rule for derivatives (the first times the derivative of the second plus the second times the derivative of the first)
    Chain rule for derivatives

3. The attempt at a solution
    If b is a constant, then I know that dA/dh = b (this was the previous problem in which I could solve)
    my issue with the current problem is that this variable t that I'm supposed to take the derivative with respect to is not in the problem- so how would I go about doing this?

My attempt:
    d/dt (A=bh)
    dA/dt = bh
    dA/dt = (b(dA/dh)) + (h(dA/db))
    My only problem with this solution is that I think there should be a d(b or h)/dt on the right side of the equation because of the chain rule

could someone please explain where/why the variable t comes in and what the correct answer is? Thank you!!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2012 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I have no clue what this means. Can you quote the full problem as it appears in your book?

4. Nov 7, 2012 #3
    that's my problem too... that IS the quote!

"Find d/dt for a rectangle" and then the formula given is A=bh
    so find d/dt for A=bh

5. Nov 7, 2012 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Well, that makes no sense. I advice asking your teacher for more explanations.

6. Nov 7, 2012 #5
    On a previous problem:
    Find d/dt for a square

and the answer was:
    d/dt (A=s2)

dA/dt = 2s (ds/dt)

perhaps you understand this one? (I don't)
    well i know the derivative of s2 = 2s. so we've taken the derivative of A with respect to t... so perhaps multiplying 2s by ds/dt is part of the chain rule or something... I don't really know where ds/dt came from

7. Nov 7, 2012 #6

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Assume that b and h are both functions of time.

There should be no derivatives of A on the right hand side of the following:

dA/dt = (b(dA/dh)) + (h(dA/db))

Use the product rule to find [itex]\displaystyle \frac{d}{dt}(b\,h)\ .[/itex

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook