Derive Electric Field of Cylinder Via Gauss' Law

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 5K views
Jawbreaker
Messages
17
Reaction score
0
1. An infinitely long cylinder of radius R contains a uniform charge density Rho. Calculate the electric field using Gauss' law for r> R and R>r



3. I attached a pdf with my attempt at r>R. My answer doesn't agree with those given http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/elecyl.html#c3". I noticed that length canceled but I'm not sure if my set up was done correctly. I solved the same problem using direct integration of Coulombs law and there I took the limit of L as it approached infinity. Any suggestions would be great. Thank you :]
 
Attachments
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You just dropped the factor of r on the LHS of the second to last line. Other than this algebra error, your answer is correct.
 
Alright thanks for catching me there. So this is a correct way for setting up a problem for an infinite cylinder? I couldn't wrap my mind around how you could use gauss' law for an infinite surface or volume.
 
Yeah, your approach is correct.

If it helps, try to think about it this way: Apply Gauss's law to a finite cylinder, and then take the limit as the length go to infinity. (Since L cancels, you'll get the same answer.)

Of course you have to ignore edge effects on the field with this approach but since you plan on taking the L going to infinity limit anyway, this doesn't matter.