1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derive Electric Field of Cylinder Via Gauss' Law

1. Sep 4, 2010 #1
    1. An infinitely long cylinder of radius R contains a uniform charge density Rho. Calculate the electric field using Gauss' law for r> R and R>r

3. I attached a pdf with my attempt at r>R. My answer doesn't agree with those given http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/elecyl.html#c3". I noticed that length canceled but I'm not sure if my set up was done correctly. I solved the same problem using direct integration of Coulombs law and there I took the limit of L as it approached infinity. Any suggestions would be great. Thank you :]
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2010 #2

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You just dropped the factor of r on the LHS of the second to last line. Other than this algebra error, your answer is correct.

4. Sep 5, 2010 #3
    Alright thanks for catching me there. So this is a correct way for setting up a problem for an infinite cylinder? I couldn't wrap my mind around how you could use gauss' law for an infinite surface or volume.

5. Sep 5, 2010 #4

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yeah, your approach is correct.

If it helps, try to think about it this way: Apply Gauss's law to a finite cylinder, and then take the limit as the length go to infinity. (Since L cancels, you'll get the same answer.)

Of course you have to ignore edge effects on the field with this approach but since you plan on taking the L going to infinity limit anyway, this doesn't matter.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook