Derive optimal anlge for maximum range (Projectile Motion)

In summary, the speaker needs help deriving the optimal angle for maximum range for both bi-level and uni-level projections. They have equations for Rmax and tan θ but are struggling to understand the process. They have attempted to find the derivative of Rmax and set it to zero to solve for theta, but are unsure if this method applies to bi-level projection. They also mention the importance of using parentheses when writing fractions to avoid ambiguity.
MohammadG

Homework Statement

Hey,

For an assignment I need to derive the optimal angle for maximum range (derive Equation 2 below). I know how to derive equation 1 but I need to derive the second equation so I can substitute h = 0, and h = 1, into it, to show the optimal angle for maximum range for bi-level and uni-level.

I have a book that explains it but I don't understand it at all. Any help is really appreciated.

Thank you!

Homework Equations

Equation 1:
Rmax = u^2 / g √(1 + 2gh/u^2)

Equation 2:
tan θ = 1 / √ (1 + 2gh / u^2)

u = initial velocity
g = grav. accel.
h = height

The Attempt at a Solution

One method I have tried is finding the derivative of Rmax, setting it to zero and solving for theta (to find the minimum) which does give me 45 degrees but I cannot apply this to bi-level projection.

Physics news on Phys.org
The way you've written the fractions is somewhat ambiguous. It's hard to say whether you meant that [itex]R_{\text{max}}=\frac{u^2}{g}\frac{1}{\sqrt{1+\frac{2gh}{u^2}}}[/itex] or [itex]R_{\text{max}}=\frac{u^2}{g}\sqrt{1+\frac{2gh}{u^2}}[/itex] (especially since the term in the radical is dimensionless), but I've realized that it's the second one - the moral of the story is to use parentheses :smile:.

In this case, one method is to use the standard [itex]x(t)[/itex] and [itex]y(t)[/itex] to find [itex]y(x)[/itex] and sub in [itex]y(R)=0[/itex] to get an equation that defines [itex]R[/itex] implicitly as a function of [itex]\theta[/itex]. Knowing this, you can find [itex]\tan(\theta_{\text{max}})[/itex] as a function of [itex]R_{\text{max}}[/itex], which you said you already found.

1. What is projectile motion and why is it important to determine the optimal angle for maximum range?

Projectile motion refers to the motion of an object that is thrown or launched into the air, and then moves under the influence of gravity alone. It is important to determine the optimal angle for maximum range because it allows us to predict the trajectory of a projectile and accurately hit a target at a certain distance.

2. What factors affect the optimal angle for maximum range?

The optimal angle for maximum range is affected by the initial velocity of the projectile, the angle of launch, and the acceleration due to gravity. Air resistance and wind can also have an impact on the optimal angle.

3. How is the optimal angle for maximum range calculated?

The optimal angle for maximum range can be calculated using the formula θ = arctan(v02/gR), where θ is the angle of launch, v0 is the initial velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and R is the range.

4. Can the optimal angle for maximum range be different for different projectiles?

Yes, the optimal angle for maximum range can be different for different projectiles. This is because the initial velocity and mass of the projectile can affect its trajectory and therefore, the optimal angle for maximum range.

5. How can the optimal angle for maximum range be applied in real life situations?

The optimal angle for maximum range has practical applications in various fields such as sports, military operations, and engineering. For example, in sports, the optimal angle can help athletes determine the best angle to throw a ball or hit a target. In military operations, it can be used to accurately aim weapons at a specific target. In engineering, it can be used to design and launch projectiles, such as rockets, with maximum efficiency and accuracy.