1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derive the energy equation for a van der Waal gas.

1. Mar 21, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Derive the energy equation for a van der Waal gas when T and v are the independent variables.

2. Relevant equations

I'm required to start from: [itex]du=\frac{\partial u}{\partial T} dT +\frac{\partial u}{\partial v} dv[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

We'll when I first started this problem. I just started doing random derivatives that made sense to me but after looking it over I had no clue what I was doing.

Does anyone know what the answer I should be getting after I fully derive it?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2014 #2

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

I don't know, what's given. So I can't help to find an answer to your question. One way to derive the caloric equation of state, i.e., the internal energy [itex]U[/itex] is to use the canonical partition sum
    [tex]Z=\frac{z^N}{N!}[/tex]
    with the single-particle partition function
    [tex]z=\frac{V^*}{\Lambda^3} \exp \left (-\frac{\phi}{2 T} \right),[/tex]
    where [itex]V^*=V-2 \pi N d^3/3[/itex] is the available volume (geometrical volume minus excluded volume due to the hard-sphere model for the molecules), and [itex]\phi[/itex] is the interaction energy of the particles
    [tex]\phi=\frac{N}{V} \int_d^\infty \mathrm{d} r \; U_{\text{rel}}(r) 4 \pi r^2,[/tex]
    with the effective two-body potential
    [tex]U_{\text{rel}}(r)=\begin{cases}
    \infty & \text{for} \quad r \leq d ,\\
    -\alpha (d/r)^6 & \text{for} \quad r>d.
    \end{cases}
    [/tex]
    The Helmholtz free energy is given by
    [tex]A(T,V,N)=-T \ln Z,[/tex]
    and from this you can derive all thermodynamical quantities from the usual thermodynamic relations like
    [tex]p=-\left (\frac{\partial A}{\partial V} \right)_{T,N}[/tex]
    etc. The internal energy is given by the usual Legendre transformation
    [tex]U=A+T S.[/tex]

4. Mar 22, 2014 #3
    [tex]dU=TdS-PdV=T\left(\frac{∂S}{∂T}\right)dT+T\left(\frac{∂S}{∂V}\right)dV-PdV=
    C_VdT+(T\left(\frac{∂S}{∂V}\right)-P)dV[/tex]
    The next step is to determine ∂S/∂V at constant T. This can be obtained from a Maxwell relation, starting from the equation dA=-SdT-PdV.

S=-∂A/∂T
    P=-∂A/∂V

So [tex]\frac{∂S}{∂V}=\frac{∂P}{∂T}[/tex]

Therefore,
    [tex]dU=C_VdT+(T\left(\frac{∂P}{∂T}\right)-P)dV[/tex]

The second term in this equation is zero for an ideal gas, but not for a real gas. Just substitute the van der Waals equation into the second term of this equation.

chet

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted