1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derive the magnitude and direction of the linear acceleration

1. Nov 21, 2008 #1
    [Solved] Centripetal Acceleration

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Derive the magnitude and direction of the linear acceleration at the tip of the stick, ignore the effect of gravity.

2. Relevant equations
    r = length of stick
    a = dv/dt

3. The attempt at a solution
    I first find the x and y components of v, then I took the derivative to find ax and ay:

vx = rω cos(θ)
    vy = rω sin(θ)

ax = rω ( -sin(θ) dθ/dt ) = rω ( -sin(θ) (-ω) ) = rω2 sin(θ)
    ay = rω ( cos(θ) dθ/dt ) = rω ( cos(θ) (-ω) ) = -rω2 cos(θ)

I recognized that ω is -dθ/dt since it is in the opposite direction. This shows that the magnitude of a is rω2. If I were to draw the vector on the graph, it would also show that a is pointing toward the hinge.

But how would I show that a is always pointing toward the hinge?

Is this argument valid:

Let q be the a vector from the tip to the center, then

qx = sin(θ)
    qy = -cos(θ)

Now, a • q = rω2cos(ф) = rω2, where ф is the angle between the two vectors and ф=0 in this case. Therefore a and q are in the same direction.

Is there a simpler way to show this?

- Thanks
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2008 #2
    Your solution is perfect.

Since the components of the acceleration vector are proportional to sin θ and -cosθ, you can also draw a right triangle to show that the acceleration vector points towards the center.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?