Deriving absolute error equation

In summary, the conversation is about deriving an error equation from the equation \frac{e}{m} = \frac{2V}{B^{2}R^{2}} using basic derivation rules. The person is stuck at the "2V" part because they are unsure how to deal with constants. They were advised to treat \frac{e}{m} as a single variable and to add the relative error of the constant when dealing with error propagation.
AcecA

Homework Statement

I need to derive an error equation from the following equation...
[tex]\frac{e}{m}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{2V}{B^{2}R^{2}}[/tex]

Homework Equations

Just... basic... derivation rules...

The Attempt at a Solution

I did try, just don't know how to put the stupid attempt in LaTeX...

I'm stuck at the "2V" part because, in our package, there is no description on how to deal with constants. And I was told to treat [tex]\frac{e}{m}[/tex] as a single variable. Thanks, guys :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
AcecA said:

Homework Statement

I need to derive an error equation from the following equation...
[tex]\frac{e}{m}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{2V}{B^{2}R^{2}}[/tex]

Homework Equations

Just... basic... derivation rules...

The Attempt at a Solution

I did try, just don't know how to put the stupid attempt in LaTeX...

I'm stuck at the "2V" part because, in our package, there is no description on how to deal with constants. And I was told to treat [tex]\frac{e}{m}[/tex] as a single variable. Thanks, guys :)

If you are dealing with error propagation then where you are multiplying by a constant you add its relative error like anything else ... but of course it's relative error or absolute error for that matter is necessarily 0.

Okie. Now I feel stupid at not realizing something so simple. Thanks :)

1. What is the formula for absolute error?

The formula for absolute error is given by |x - x̅|, where x is the measured value and x̅ is the true or expected value.

2. How do you calculate absolute error?

To calculate absolute error, subtract the measured value from the true value and take the absolute value of the result. This will give you the absolute difference between the two values.

3. What is the significance of absolute error in scientific measurements?

Absolute error is used to quantify the accuracy of a measurement. It tells us how far off our measured value is from the true value, giving us an idea of the precision of our measurement process.

4. Can absolute error have a negative value?

No, absolute error is always a positive value because it is the absolute difference between two values. If the measured value is larger than the true value, the result will still be positive.

5. How can absolute error be minimized?

Absolute error can be minimized by improving the precision of the measurement process. This can be achieved by using more sensitive instruments, taking multiple measurements, and reducing sources of error in the experiment.