Deriving an Expression for g in Terms of M, m, D, H, and t

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
bjac
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
There are two blocks of equal mass M that hang from a massless, frictionless pulley. There is a small square block of mass m sitting on top of one of the blocks. When the block is released, it accelerates downward for a distance H until the block of mass m sitting on tip gets caught by a ring. The block of mass M continues to fall at constant speed for a distance D.

Derive an expression in terms of g using M, m, D, H, and t, where t is the time that M takes to move at constant speed through the distance D.

I have made drawing describing the situation:

http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/3714/38860857.png

I actually have this solution, but I don't understand it. Could someone explain how it was derived?

[tex]a=\frac{mg}{2M+m}[/tex]

[tex]v^2=2aH[/tex]

[tex]v=\frac{D}{t}[/tex]

[tex]v^2=\frac{2mgH}{2M+m}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{D^2}{t^2}=\frac{2mgh}{2M+m}[/tex]

[tex]g=\frac{(2m+m)D^2}{2mHt^2}[/tex]
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What part are you having difficulty with? What did you try?
 
Hi there,

By looking at your problem, and making the calculations myself, I found this error in your solution:

[tex]a = \frac{mg}{M + m}[/tex] without the 2M at the bottom
 
fatra2 said:
Hi there,

By looking at your problem, and making the calculations myself, I found this error in your solution:

[tex]a = \frac{mg}{M + m}[/tex] without the 2M at the bottom

Are you sure? I did it too and I'm getting 2M.
 
From where do you find the second M?

Let's look at the forces acting on the (M+m) system. You have the tension in the rope, and the weight of both M+m.

[tex]\sum F = (M+m)a[/tex]
[tex]T - F_M - F_m = (M+m)a[/tex]
[tex]\cancel{Mg} - \cancel{Mg} - mg = (M+m)a[/tex]
[tex]a = -\frac{mg}{M+m}[/tex]
 
What i did was :

(M+m)g - T = (M+m)a for the right side
T - Mg = Ma => T = M(g+a) for the left
Then

(M+m)g - M(g+a) = (M+m)a
mg-Ma = Ma + ma
mg = 2Ma + ma
a = mg / (2M+m)