Deriving Bernoulli's Equation Using Euler's Law of Motion

In summary, the conversation discusses the motion of a particle described by a blue arrow in Figure 12-3 and the confusion surrounding the direction of the net force. The question is raised about the pressure at the top and bottom of the particle and whether it is greater or lesser. While nowhere explicitly stated, there is a net force due to the pressure difference, but dP can also be negative. The conversation concludes with a clarification and understanding of the situation.
yjl
Hi all,

I have attached an image of a page out of the book I am using for context. The blue arrow in Figure 12-3 describes the motion of the particle. I figured the net force would need to be in the same direction, but apparently the net force opposes the motion. So, in Figure 12-3 the pressure at the top of the particle is higher than the pressure at the bottom (P + dP versus P). I am wondering why this is the case.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello yjl, :welcome: !

Where does it say ##dp > 0 ## ?

Likes yjl
BvU said:
Hello yjl, :welcome: !

Where does it say ##dp > 0 ## ?

Thank you :-)

Nowhere explicitly. But surely there must be a good reason for assuming the top part of the particle to have a greater pressure.

Is it not true that the net force in Figure 12-3 would make the particle accelerate towards the x-axis?

What net force ?

Likes yjl
BvU said:
What net force ?

The net force due to the pressure difference when dP > 0.

The expression ##(P+dP)## does not mean that dP is positive. It only means that pressure changes from one end of the free body to the other. But dP can also be negative.

Likes yjl
Chestermiller said:
The expression ##(P+dP)## does not mean that dP is positive. It only means that pressure changes from one end of the free body to the other. But dP can also be negative.

Ah.
Well, thank you :-).
I see now that that was what BvU was hinting at.

1. What is Bernoulli's equation?

Bernoulli's equation is a fundamental equation in fluid dynamics that relates the pressure, velocity, and height of a fluid at any given point. It states that the total energy of a fluid remains constant along a streamline, meaning that as the velocity of the fluid increases, the pressure decreases.

2. How is Euler's law of motion used to derive Bernoulli's equation?

Euler's law of motion is a fundamental principle in classical mechanics that states that the net force acting on a fluid element is equal to its mass times its acceleration. By applying this law to a fluid element moving along a streamline, we can derive Bernoulli's equation.

3. What are the assumptions made when deriving Bernoulli's equation using Euler's law of motion?

The assumptions made include: the fluid is non-viscous (no internal friction), incompressible (constant density), and the flow is steady (constant velocity at any given point).

4. Can Bernoulli's equation be applied to all types of fluids?

Bernoulli's equation can be applied to all types of fluids as long as the assumptions mentioned above are met. However, for compressible fluids (such as air), the equation needs to be modified to include the change in density.

5. What are the practical applications of Bernoulli's equation?

Bernoulli's equation has many practical applications, including calculating the lift force on an airplane wing, predicting the flow rate of a fluid through a pipe, and understanding the behavior of fluids in pumps and turbines. It is also used in many engineering and design applications, such as in the design of airfoils and hydraulic systems.