Deriving Einstein tensor, Riemmann tensor step

In summary, to turn R^{\sigma}_{\mu\nu\rho} \mbox{ to } R_{\mu\nu} one must multiply by (g^{\alpha\sigma}g_{\alpha \rho})(g_{\alpha\sigma}g^{\alpha\rho} ), and then contract down with the second bracket.
pleasehelpmeno
Hi i have been following Hobson in their attempt to derive the einstein tensor, I have split the varied action into three terms and want to factor out [itex] \delta(g^{\mu\nu})[/itex] terms.

The Riemann tensor [itex] R_{\mu \nu}[/itex] must be expanded to [itex]R^{\rho}_{\mu \nu p}[/itex] and then contracted back to the original form. To do this should one simply multiply by [itex](g^{\alpha\sigma}g_{\alpha \rho})(g_{\alpha\sigma}g^{\alpha\rho} )[/itex] and expand with the first bracket and then contract down with the second?

Physics news on Phys.org
pleasehelpmeno said:
simply multiply by [itex](g^{\alpha\sigma}g_{\alpha \rho})(g_{\alpha\sigma}g^{\alpha\rho} )[/itex]

[tex](g^{\alpha\sigma}g_{\alpha \rho})(g_{\alpha\sigma}g^{\alpha\rho} ) = 16[/tex]

mmm, how can one expand R_{\mu\nu} then? Does one have to multiply by eta's?

First, why does

[tex](g^{\alpha\sigma}g_{\alpha \rho})(g_{\alpha\sigma}g^{\alpha\rho} ) = 16?[/tex]

Can you be more specific? I have Hobson et al.

Ok well because it is 4x4 isn't it,, each g^{}g_{} will be a kronecker delta = 4 or 0, I ma just finding the page number

It is on page 540

perhaps i am being thick is [itex] R_{\alpha \beta}=R^{\rho}_{\alpha \beta \sigma}[/itex] so that then one wouldn't need to contract it?

Do you know how to write tensors in latex so that there is say a spacing between top and bottom?

(gασgαρ)(gασgαρ) = (δσρ)(δσρ) = δσσ = 4

(Of course the original expression is invalid since it contains four α's, but I'm assuming...)

Is my last post about Riemann tensors correct?

pleasehelpmeno said:
perhaps i am being thick is [itex] R_{\alpha \beta}=R^{\rho}_{\alpha \beta \sigma}[/itex] so that then one wouldn't need to contract it?

Do you know how to write tensors in latex so that there is say a spacing between top and bottom?
Like this ?

[itex] R_{\alpha \beta}\ne{R^{\rho}}_{\alpha \beta \sigma}[/itex]
[itex] R_{\alpha \beta}={R^{\sigma}}_{\alpha\sigma \beta }[/itex]

Mentz114 said:
Like this ?

[itex] R_{\alpha \beta}\ne{R^{\rho}}_{\alpha \beta \sigma}[/itex]
[itex] R_{\alpha \beta}={R^{\sigma}}_{\alpha\sigma \beta }[/itex]
Or like this ##R^\rho{}_{\alpha\beta\sigma}##.

pleasehelpmeno said:
The numbers could be equal, but the tensors can't be.

Fredrik said:
Or like this ##R^\rho{}_{\alpha\beta\sigma}##.
Or using UTF, like this: Rραβσ.

Bill_K said:
(Of course the original expression is invalid since it contains four α's, but I'm assuming...)

Yikes, my eyes skimmed right over the illegal expression. :redface: I immediately read it as

[tex]g^{\alpha\sigma}g_{\alpha \rho}g_{\alpha\sigma}g^{\alpha\rho} = (g^{\alpha\sigma} g_{\alpha\sigma}) (g_{\alpha \rho} g^{\alpha\rho} ) = 4 \times 4 = 16[/tex]
pleasehelpmeno said:
It is on page 540

Sorry, I still don't know what you are asking. I think you need to practise index gymnastics.

Last edited:
I am confused can you explain how to turn [itex]R^{\sigma}_{\mu\nu\rho} \mbox{ to } R_{\mu\nu} [/itex] by contraction, I thought that my method was correct but clearly not, I am self taught so there are some things that i have missed.

pleasehelpmeno said:
I am confused can you explain how to turn [itex]R^{\sigma}_{\mu\nu\rho} \mbox{ to } R_{\mu\nu} [/itex] by contraction, I thought that my method was correct but clearly not, I am self taught so there are some things that i have missed.
Wikipedia defines ##R_{\mu\nu}## by ##R_{\mu\nu} = {R^\rho}_{\mu\rho\nu}##. You understand that repeated indices imply summation, right?

Fredrik said:
Wikipedia defines ##R_{\mu\nu}## by ##R_{\mu\nu} = {R^\rho}_{\mu\rho\nu}##. You understand that repeated indices imply summation, right?

The text that pleasehelpmeno is using, Hobson et al, uses ##R_{\mu\nu} = {R^\rho}_{\mu\nu\rho}##.

[tex]
\delta s = \delta \int d^4 x \sqrt{g} R = \int d^4 x \delta (\sqrt{g} R_{\mu\nu}g^{\mu\nu})
= \int d^4 x \left[ (\delta\sqrt{g})R + \sqrt{g}(\delta R_{\mu\nu})g^{\mu\nu} + \sqrt{g}R_{\mu\nu}(\delta g^{\mu\nu}) \right]
[/tex]
does this look what you have to start with?

1. What is the Einstein tensor?

The Einstein tensor, also known as the trace-reversed Ricci tensor, is a mathematical object in general relativity that describes the curvature of spacetime. It is a combination of the Ricci tensor and the metric tensor, and plays a crucial role in Einstein's field equations.

2. How is the Einstein tensor derived?

The Einstein tensor is derived by manipulating the Ricci tensor, which is itself derived from the Riemann tensor. The process involves contracting and subtracting certain components of the Ricci tensor, resulting in a tensor that is symmetric and traceless.

3. What is the Riemann tensor?

The Riemann tensor is a mathematical object that describes the curvature of a manifold, such as spacetime. It is defined by the commutator of covariant derivatives of a vector field, and contains information about the local geometry of the manifold.

4. What is the significance of deriving the Einstein tensor?

Deriving the Einstein tensor is a crucial step in understanding the curvature of spacetime and its relationship to the distribution of matter and energy. It allows us to formulate Einstein's field equations, which are the cornerstone of general relativity and have been crucial in our understanding of the universe.

5. Is the derivation of the Einstein tensor complicated?

The derivation of the Einstein tensor can be quite complex and involves advanced mathematical concepts such as tensor calculus and differential geometry. However, with a solid understanding of these concepts, it is possible to follow the steps of the derivation and gain a deeper understanding of the fundamental principles of general relativity.