Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Deriving Einstein tensor, Riemmann tensor step

1. Mar 13, 2013 #1
    Hi i have been following Hobson in their attempt to derive the einstein tensor, I have split the varied action into three terms and want to factor out [itex] \delta(g^{\mu\nu})[/itex] terms.

The Riemann tensor [itex] R_{\mu \nu}[/itex] must be expanded to [itex]R^{\rho}_{\mu \nu p}[/itex] and then contracted back to the original form. To do this should one simply multiply by [itex](g^{\alpha\sigma}g_{\alpha \rho})(g_{\alpha\sigma}g^{\alpha\rho} )[/itex] and expand with the first bracket and then contract down with the second?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 13, 2013 #2

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

[tex](g^{\alpha\sigma}g_{\alpha \rho})(g_{\alpha\sigma}g^{\alpha\rho} ) = 16[/tex]

4. Mar 13, 2013 #3
    mmm, how can one expand R_{\mu\nu} then? Does one have to multiply by eta's?

5. Mar 13, 2013 #4

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

First, why does

[tex](g^{\alpha\sigma}g_{\alpha \rho})(g_{\alpha\sigma}g^{\alpha\rho} ) = 16?[/tex]

Can you be more specific? I have Hobson et al.

6. Mar 13, 2013 #5
    Ok well because it is 4x4 isn't it,, each g^{}g_{} will be a kronecker delta = 4 or 0, I ma just finding the page number

7. Mar 13, 2013 #6
    It is on page 540

8. Mar 13, 2013 #7
    perhaps i am being thick is [itex] R_{\alpha \beta}=R^{\rho}_{\alpha \beta \sigma}[/itex] so that then one wouldn't need to contract it?

Do you know how to write tensors in latex so that there is say a spacing between top and bottom?

9. Mar 13, 2013 #8

Bill_K

Science Advisor

(gασgαρ)(gασgαρ) = (δσρ)(δσρ) = δσσ = 4

(Of course the original expression is invalid since it contains four α's, but I'm assuming...)

10. Mar 13, 2013 #9
    Is my last post about Riemann tensors correct?

11. Mar 13, 2013 #10

Mentz114

Gold Member

Like this ?

[itex] R_{\alpha \beta}\ne{R^{\rho}}_{\alpha \beta \sigma}[/itex]
    [itex] R_{\alpha \beta}={R^{\sigma}}_{\alpha\sigma \beta }[/itex]

12. Mar 13, 2013 #11

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Or like this ##R^\rho{}_{\alpha\beta\sigma}##.

13. Mar 13, 2013 #12

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The numbers could be equal, but the tensors can't be.

14. Mar 13, 2013 #13

Bill_K

Science Advisor

Or using UTF, like this: Rραβσ.

15. Mar 13, 2013 #14

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yikes, my eyes skimmed right over the illegal expression. :redface: I immediately read it as

[tex]g^{\alpha\sigma}g_{\alpha \rho}g_{\alpha\sigma}g^{\alpha\rho} = (g^{\alpha\sigma} g_{\alpha\sigma}) (g_{\alpha \rho} g^{\alpha\rho} ) = 4 \times 4 = 16[/tex]
    Sorry, I still don't know what you are asking. I think you need to practise index gymnastics.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  16. Mar 13, 2013 #15
    I am confused can you explain how to turn [itex]R^{\sigma}_{\mu\nu\rho} \mbox{ to } R_{\mu\nu} [/itex] by contraction, I thought that my method was correct but clearly not, I am self taught so there are some things that i have missed.

17. Mar 13, 2013 #16

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wikipedia defines ##R_{\mu\nu}## by ##R_{\mu\nu} = {R^\rho}_{\mu\rho\nu}##. You understand that repeated indices imply summation, right?

18. Mar 13, 2013 #17

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The text that pleasehelpmeno is using, Hobson et al, uses ##R_{\mu\nu} = {R^\rho}_{\mu\nu\rho}##.

19. Mar 14, 2013 #18
    [tex]
    \delta s = \delta \int d^4 x \sqrt{g} R = \int d^4 x \delta (\sqrt{g} R_{\mu\nu}g^{\mu\nu})
    = \int d^4 x \left[ (\delta\sqrt{g})R + \sqrt{g}(\delta R_{\mu\nu})g^{\mu\nu} + \sqrt{g}R_{\mu\nu}(\delta g^{\mu\nu}) \right]
    [/tex]
    does this look what you have to start with?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook