1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Deriving Electric Field from Voltage

1. Feb 29, 2008 #1
    This is probably more Calculus than it is physics. The voltage at a point X produced by a uniformly charged rod is V = (Ke*Q/l)*[ln(l+sqr(l^2+a^2))-ln(a)], in which point X is right above the left end of the rod by a distance a, l is the rod's length, Q is the charge of the rod, and Ke as the constant (sqr( ) refers to square root and ln is natural log).

X(point X a distance a from the left end of the rod, in which a is constant)

__________________ (uniformly charged rod)

I'm supposed to find the y-component of the Electric Field at X, in which I would just find the negative partial derivative of V in respect to y. Would that imply that I derive in respect to a? I've actually tried quite a number of derivations, but they always end up in something lengthy. The answer is Ey = Ke*Q/[a*sqr(l^2+a^2)].
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2008 #2

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

You are correct and so is the final answer. Try it once more. Remember, you have to differentiate wrt 'a' only. (There's a factor (l + sqrt(l^2+a^2) which cancels out.)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?