Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Deriving formulas used for vectors in physics.

1. May 9, 2015 #1
    Hey guys and gals, I'm taking an online physics course just to kind of learn the basics before I take the real thing this summer. The course is from OpenYale for those interested (oyc.yale.edu). Anyways, the professor was talking about some formulas for finding ##\vec{r}(t) = r(i(cos\omega t) + j(sin\omega t))##. He then goes on to say that ##\vec{v}(t) = \vec{r}'(t)##. So then ##\vec{v}(t) = r(i(-\omega sin\omega t) + j(\omega cos\omega t)).## I understand it all up to this point. He then loses me when he says that ##\vec{a} = \vec{v}'(t)## which he says is equal to ##-\omega ^2 \vec{r}##. Can someone walk me through how he came up with this? Sorry if the title is off as I didn't really know how to word this. Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2015 #2

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. May 9, 2015 #3
    Just differentiate v(t) again and you'll see that it's proportional to r(t)

5. May 9, 2015 #4
    I was hoping for the step-by-step as I wasn't thinking and hadn't attempted it yet, but then I realized that it's ##\vec{r}## and not just ##r##, then I saw A.T.'s link and looked through it and it makes sense. I still haven't worked it out but I'm assuming that you factor out the ##-\omega## and what remains is just equal to ##\vec{r}##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook