Why are the accelerations not equal?

annamal
TL;DR Summary
I have a slider moving with a pendulum. I take the derivative of the velocity vector. Then I get the acceleration but just using a for acceleration. How come the accelerations from equations (1) and (2) [both ways of getting the acceleration] are not equal?
##\vec n_2## points to the diagonal top left.
Screenshot 2024-04-11 at 9.35.25 PM.png

The velocity v is a function of t. So for example ##2t^2## and a = dv/dt.
Putting the velocity vector into ##\vec n_1## and ##\vec n_2## terms.
$$\vec v = v sin\theta \vec n_1 + v cos\theta \vec n_2$$
$$\vec v = -v \vec i$$
$$\vec a = \frac{d\vec v}{dt} = -a \vec i = -asin\theta \vec n_1 + acos\theta \vec n_2\ (1)$$
$$\vec a = \frac{d(v sin\theta \vec n_1 + v cos\theta \vec n_2)}{dt} = (asin\theta - 2v cos\theta \dot{\theta})\vec n_1 + (-2vsin\theta \dot{\theta} + acos\theta)\vec n_2\ (2)$$
How come ##\vec a \neq -asin\theta \vec n_1 + acos\theta \vec n_2\ (1) \neq (2)##?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-04-11 at 9.14.26 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-11 at 9.14.26 PM.png
    40.2 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are ##\vec n_1## and ##\vec n_2## constant, and it's only coincidence that they happen to point along your pendulum rod when you draw the diagram? If so, ##\vec v=v\sin\theta\vec n_1+v\cos\theta\vec n_2## is not generally true. If not, then where are the ## \dot{\vec n}_i## terms in your expression for ##\vec a##?

Ibix said:
Are ##\vec n_1## and ##\vec n_2## constant, and it's only coincidence that they happen to point along your pendulum rod when you draw the diagram? If so, ##\vec v=v\sin\theta\vec n_1+v\cos\theta\vec n_2## is not generally true. If not, then where are the ## \dot{\vec n}_i## terms in your expression for ##\vec a##?
Yes ##\vec n_2## points along my pendulum rod as it moves and ##\vec n_1## points perpendicular to that constantly.

Then they are functions of time also, and you need their derivatives also.

Ibix said:
Then they are functions of time also, and you need their derivatives also.
I already included and simplified their derivatives in equation (2)

annamal said:
I already included and simplified their derivatives in equation (2)
Ah, I see. My mistake - I missed the factors of 2 somehow. Just to note, for those of us reading on small screens it's much easier to follow maths if you break it across lines a bit using the eqnarray or eqnarray* environments in LaTeX.

Are you sure your signs are consistent? In the case ##\theta=\pi/2## your un-numbered expression for ##\vec v## becomes ##\vec v=-v\vec i=v\vec n_1##, implying ##\vec i## and ##\vec n_1## are anti-parallel, but (1) becomes ##\vec a=-a\vec i=-a\vec n_1##, implying they are parallel.

Ibix said:
Ah, I see. My mistake - I missed the factors of 2 somehow. Just to note, for those of us reading on small screens it's much easier to follow maths if you break it across lines a bit using the eqnarray or eqnarray* environments in LaTeX.

Are you sure your signs are consistent? In the case ##\theta=\pi/2## your un-numbered expression for ##\vec v## becomes ##\vec v=-v\vec i=v\vec n_1##, implying ##\vec i## and ##\vec n_1## are anti-parallel, but (1) becomes ##\vec a=-a\vec i=-a\vec n_1##, implying they are parallel.
Above I forgot to add a negative to ##\vec n_1## so ##\vec v = -v \vec i = -v sin\theta \vec n_1 + v cos\theta \vec n_2## not just ##v\vec n_1##. But the equations (1) and (2) should be correct.

Not quite. Like this:$$\begin{eqnarray*}
\vec v &=& -v\vec i \\
&=&v\sin\theta\vec n_1 + v\cos\theta \vec n_2
\end{eqnarray*}$$Note the & symbols each side of the thing I want to align (= in this case) and the \\\\ marking the end of each line except the last.

Ibix said:
Not quite. Like this:$$\begin{eqnarray*}
\vec v &=& -v\vec i \\
&=&v\sin\theta\vec n_1 + v\cos\theta \vec n_2
\end{eqnarray*}$$Note the & symbols each side of the thing I want to align (= in this case) and the \\ marking the end of each line except the last.
I forgot to add the negative sign to ##vsin\theta## but everything else is the same

annamal said:
I forgot to add the negative sign to ##vsin\theta## but everything else is the same
Looks like you edited while I was replying. Ignore my last post, and I'll read your revised post.

Ibix said:
Looks like you edited while I was replying. Ignore my last post, and I'll read your revised post.
$$\vec a = \frac{d(-v sin\theta \vec n_1 + v cos\theta \vec n_2)}{dt} = (-asin\theta - 2v cos\theta \dot{\theta})\vec n_1 + (-2vsin\theta \dot{\theta} + acos\theta)\vec n_2\ (2)$$
$$\vec a \neq -asin\theta \vec n_1 + acos\theta \vec n_2\ (1) \neq (2)$$

I think your algebra's gone wrong somewhere. Defining ##\vec i## pointing to the left right and ##\vec j## pointing up the page, we have:$$\begin{eqnarray}
\vec n_1 &=&\sin\theta \vec i+\cos\theta \vec j\\
\vec n_2&=&-\cos\theta \vec i+\sin\theta\vec j\\
\dot{\vec n}_1&=&-\vec n_2\dot\theta\\
\dot{\vec n}_2&=&\vec n_1\dot\theta
\end{eqnarray}$$Then, taking your definition ##\vec v = -v\vec i## and noting that ##\vec i=\vec n_1\sin\theta-\vec n_2\cos\theta## we can write:$$\begin{eqnarray}
\vec v&=&-v\vec i\\
&=&-v\vec n_1\sin\theta+v\vec n_2\cos\theta\\
\frac{d}{dt}\vec v&=&\frac{d}{dt}\left(-v\vec n_1\sin\theta+v\vec n_2\cos\theta\right)\\
&=&-a\left(\vec n_1\sin\theta-\vec n_2\sin\theta\right)\nonumber\\
&&+v\left(-\dot{\vec n}_1\sin\theta+\dot{\vec n}_2\cos\theta\right)\nonumber\\
&&-v\left(\vec n_1\cos\theta\dot\theta+\vec n_2\sin\theta\dot\theta\right)
\end{eqnarray}$$Substituting in the definitions (3 and 4) of the two ##\dot{\vec n}##s, the last two brackets cancel.

They must cancel, of course, because you are simply writing ##\vec a=-\frac{dv}{dt}\vec i-v\frac{d\vec i}{dt}## and expanding ##\frac{d\vec i}{dt}## in terms of your normal vectors.

Last edited:
Ibix said:
I think your algebra's gone wrong somewhere. Defining ##\vec i## pointing to the left and ##\vec j## pointing up the page, we have:$$\begin{eqnarray}
\end{eqnarray}$$Then, taking your definition ##\vec v = -v\vec i## and noting that ##\vec i=\vec n_1\sin\theta-\vec n_2\cos\theta## we can write:$$\begin{eqnarray}
\vec v&=&-v\vec i\\
\frac{d}{dt}\vec v&=&\frac{d}{dt}\left(-v\vec n_1\sin\theta+v\vec n_2\cos\theta\right)\\
\end{eqnarray}$$Substituting in the definitions (3 and 4) of the two ##\dot{\vec n}##s, the last two brackets cancel.

They must cancel, of course, because you are simply writing ##\vec a=-\frac{dv}{dt}\vec i-v\frac{d\vec i}{dt}## and expanding ##\frac{d\vec i}{dt}## in terms of your normal vectors.
For this ##\dot{\vec n_1}## and ##\dot{\vec n_2}## I have them negated.
##\dot{\vec n_1} = \dot{\theta}\vec k \times \vec n_1 = \dot{\theta}\vec n_2## where ##\vec k## is pointing out of the screen and ##\vec n_1 \times \vec n_2 = \vec k##.
##\dot{\vec n_2} = \dot{\theta}\vec k \times \vec n_2 = -\dot{\theta}\vec n_1##

I did it by direct calculation$$\begin{eqnarray*}
\vec n_1&=&\sin\theta\vec i+\cos\theta\vec j\\
\dot{\vec n}_1&=&\cos\theta\dot\theta\vec i-\sin\theta\dot\theta\vec j\\
&=&-\vec n_2\dot\theta
\end{eqnarray*}$$and similarly for the other one.

Ibix said:
I think your algebra's gone wrong somewhere. Defining ##\vec i## pointing to the left and ##\vec j## pointing up the page, we have:$$\begin{eqnarray}
\vec v&=&-v\vec i\\

I think you meant to say ##\vec i## has to be pointing to the right and ##\vec j## has to be pointing up.

That is interesting that the ##\frac{dn_1}{dt}## and ##\frac{dn_2}{dt}## ended up that way. In order for my way of calculating them to be true, we would have to be rotating clockwise so ##-\dot{\theta}## by default instead of just ##\dot{\theta}##. Then ##\frac{dn_1}{dt} = \vec \omega \times \vec r = -\dot{\theta}\vec n_3 \times \vec n_1 = -\dot{\theta}\vec n_2##. I don't know why we would have to use a negative theta though. Perhaps because if we move in the positive ##\vec i## direction we have clockwise rotation?

Last edited:
annamal said:
I think you meant to say ##\vec i## has to be pointing to the right and ##\vec j## has to be pointing up.
I did. I've corrected my post - thank you.

It's quite likely that something you've done implies clockwise instead of anti clockwise, yes. I suspect the fundamental issue is all the different conventions you are using. Notably, the way you've defined ##\theta##, an increasing value means clockwise rotation if your ##\vec n## vectors, and I rather suspect your cross products assume the opposite - I haven't checked, though.

Honestly, I'd just start again, defining ##\theta## so that it is zero when ##\vec n_1=\vec i## and increases under anticlockwise rotation and defining ##\vec v=v\vec i##. Competing conventions are always a mess - you can make them work, but you have to be constantly on guard for clashes. Much simpler to use standard choices.

Ibix said:
Notably, the way you've defined ##\theta##, an increasing value means clockwise rotation if your ##\vec n## vectors, and I rather suspect your cross products assume the opposite - I haven't checked, though.
So you think the way I have defined ##\theta## is clockwise b/c we are measuring the angle from the horizontal to the pendulum string correct? How come we cannot measure the angle from the pendulum string to the horizontal and say that ##\theta## is defined counterclockwise (the way I have the angle arrow drawn in my first post)?

Last edited:
annamal said:
So you think the way I have defined ##\theta## is clockwise b/c we are measuring the angle from the horizontal to the pendulum string correct? How come we cannot measure the angle from the pendulum string to the horizontal and say that ##\theta## is defined counterclockwise (the way I have the angle arrow drawn in my first post)?
I think ( and I believe @Ibix is saying) you have to be careful about the negative ##\dot \theta##. imagine the slider still; If the angle is decreasing the angular velocity is negative, but by your assumed convention the bobs velocity is positive. That doesn’t seem to be mathematically consistent.

Likes Ibix

Resources for: Why are the accelerations not equal?