Deriving gravitational potential energy (by bringing mass from infinity to r)

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of gravitational potential energy and the formula for gpe when considering a test mass moving from infinity to r. There is confusion about the sign of the potential energy and the role of force in the derivation. The final conclusion is that the potential energy must be negative and further clarification and derivation is needed.
Miraj Kayastha
I understand the derivation of gravitational potential energy when an object is moved away from Earth but when I try to derive the formula for gpe by considering a test mass moving from infinity to r then I end up with a positive gravitational potential energy. Because integrating F.dr from infinity to r is equal to (magnitude of F) times (dr) times (cos 0) and I get a positive gravitational potential energy?

Can somebody show me the derivation of gpe considering a mass brought from infinity to r with detailed explanation (especially the signs)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Integrating F*dr from infinity to r gives you the work done. In the infinity the energy of system was 0. The work done gives you the change in kinetic energy. Since you got positive result, Ep + Ek = 0, therefor potential energy must be negative.
So everything is OK

I did not get my answer from that. I need the derivation

Miraj Kayastha said:
Because integrating F.dr from infinity to r is equal to (magnitude of F) times (dr) times (cos 0) and I get a positive gravitational potential energy?
What are you taking as your force F? What direction does it have?

Sure, I can provide a detailed explanation of the derivation of gravitational potential energy when considering a test mass moving from infinity to a distance of r from a larger mass (such as the Earth).

First, let's define some variables:
- m: mass of the larger object (e.g. Earth)
- M: mass of the test object
- r: distance between the two objects
- G: gravitational constant (6.67 x 10^-11 Nm^2/kg^2)

Now, let's consider the work done by the gravitational force as the test object is moved from infinity to a distance of r from the larger object. This work is equal to the change in potential energy of the test object, and can be represented by the following equation:

W = ∆U = U(r) - U(∞)

Where U(r) is the potential energy of the test object at a distance of r from the larger object, and U(∞) is the potential energy at infinity (where the potential energy is defined as zero).

To calculate the work done, we can use the formula for work:

W = F∆r

Where F is the force acting on the test object and ∆r is the displacement of the test object.

In this case, the force acting on the test object is the gravitational force, given by Newton's Law of Gravitation:

F = GMm/r^2

Substituting this into the equation for work, we get:

W = GMm/r^2 * ∆r

Now, we can express ∆r as the difference between the final distance (r) and the initial distance (infinity):

∆r = r - ∞ = r - ∞ = r

Since the initial distance is infinity, we can assume that the test object starts at rest, and therefore its initial kinetic energy is zero. This means that all the work done by the gravitational force goes into changing the potential energy of the test object.

Substituting this into the equation for work, we get:

W = GMm/r^2 * r

= GMm/r

Since we defined the work done as the change in potential energy, we can equate this to the change in potential energy of the test object:

∆U = W = GMm/r

Now, to find the potential energy at a distance of r, we can rearrange this equation to solve for U(r):

U(r

1. What is gravitational potential energy?

Gravitational potential energy is the stored energy an object has due to its position in a gravitational field. It is the energy that is required to move the object from its current position to a reference point, usually infinity.

2. How is gravitational potential energy calculated?

The gravitational potential energy of an object can be calculated using the formula U = -GMm/r, where G is the gravitational constant, M and m are the masses of the two objects, and r is the distance between them. This formula assumes that the object is being brought from infinity to a distance r from the center of mass of the other object.

3. What is the reference point for calculating gravitational potential energy?

The reference point for calculating gravitational potential energy is usually taken as infinity, as it represents the point at which there is no gravitational force acting on the object. However, any point outside of the gravitational field can be used as a reference point, as long as the distance between the two points is known.

4. How does the mass of the object affect its gravitational potential energy?

The mass of an object directly affects its gravitational potential energy. The greater the mass of the object, the greater its gravitational potential energy will be. This means that larger objects have a greater capacity to do work when moved from one point to another in a gravitational field.

5. What is the significance of deriving gravitational potential energy from infinity to a distance r?

Deriving gravitational potential energy from infinity to a distance r is a useful concept in the study of gravitational fields. It allows us to calculate the potential energy of an object at any point in the field and understand the changes in potential energy as the object moves from one point to another. It also provides a reference point for comparing the potential energy of different objects in the same field.