1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Deriving gravitational potential energy (by bringing mass from infinity to r)

1. Sep 23, 2014 #1
    I understand the derivation of gravitational potential energy when an object is moved away from earth but when I try to derive the formula for gpe by considering a test mass moving from infinity to r then I end up with a positive gravitational potential energy. Because integrating F.dr from infinity to r is equal to (magnitude of F) times (dr) times (cos 0) and I get a positive gravitational potential energy?

Can somebody show me the derivation of gpe considering a mass brought from infinity to r with detailed explanation (especially the signs)?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2014 #2
    Integrating F*dr from infinity to r gives you the work done. In the infinity the energy of system was 0. The work done gives you the change in kinetic energy. Since you got positive result, Ep + Ek = 0, therefor potential energy must be negative.
    So everything is OK

4. Sep 24, 2014 #3
    I did not get my answer from that. I need the derivation

5. Sep 24, 2014 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

What are you taking as your force F? What direction does it have?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook