How Do You Solve the Damped Oscillator Equation Using Newton's Second Law?

In summary, we discussed using Newton's 2nd Law for a damped oscillator, which can be modeled with the second order linear differential equation ma = -kx - \alpha x. To solve this, we use the trial integrating factor e^{\lambda x} and come to the root equation mx^2 + \alpha x + k = 0. The solutions for this equation are r_{1} \ and \ r_{2} \frac{-\alpha}{2m} +/- \frac{1}{2m} \sqrt{\alpha^2 - 4km}. The function x(t) can then be represented by x(t) = Ae^{r_1 t } + Be^{r_2 t},
whozum
Using Newton's 2nd Law for a damped oscillator:

[tex] ma = -kx - \alpha x [/tex]

which is a second order linear DE. To solve it we use the trial integrating factor [itex] e^{\lambda x} [/tex] to come to the root equation

[tex] mx^2 + \alpha x + k = 0[/tex] where we can find our two solutions to be

[tex] r_{1} \ and \ r_{2} \frac{-\alpha}{2m} +/- \frac{1}{2m} \sqrt{\alpha^2 - 4km} [/tex]

And the function [itex] x(t) [/itex] is supposed to be represented by
[tex] x(t) = Ae^{r_1 t } + Be^{r_2 t} [/tex] which can be solved with th given initial conditions [itex] x(0) = 0 \ and \ v(0) = v_0[/itex].

I'm supposed to end up with the product of two exponentials which dissolve to a cosine and sin function.
Four lines up is where I'm lost.. I'm not sure how to jump to the two exponential functions. What I have is:

[tex] x(t) = Ae^{r_1 t}(\cos(x(\alpha^2 - 4km)) +/- i \sin(x(\alpha^2 - 4km)) [/tex] which just smells really wrong. I can solve the particular equations once I can get to the general solution, but I'm stuck there. I know how the damping is determined and everything.. I just can't get the general equation :(

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The differential equation modelling this system is given by:

[tex] m\Ddot{x} + 2\beta \dot{x} + \omega^2 x = 0 [/tex]

With [itex] \beta \ and \ \omega [/itex] defined as

[tex] \beta = \frac{b}{2m} \ and \ \omega = \sqrt{\frac{k}{m}} [/tex]

with m being mass, k the characteristic constant of the physical system, and b the damping coefficient. The equation is solved via the auxilliary equation which simplifies to

[tex] r_{1,2} = -\beta \pm \sqrt{\beta^2 - \omega^2} [/tex]

The damping coefficient is less than the frequency of the system in underdamped harmonic motion, thus [itex] \beta < \omega [/itex] and imaginary numbers appear. We introduce another simplification, [itex] \omega_1 [/itex] defined by

[tex] \omega_1 = \sqrt{\omega^2 - \beta^2} [/tex]

Thus [tex] r_{1,2} = -\beta \pm \imath \omega_1 [/tex] and [itex]x(t)[/itex] can be expressed by the exponentials:

[tex] x(t) = \exp{\left((-\beta + \imath \omega_1)t}\right) + \exp{\left((-\beta - \imath \omega_1)t}\right) } [/tex] and by Euler's formula we simplify to the general solution to underdamped harmonic motion:

Equation A
[tex] x(t) = e^{-\beta t}\left(A\cos(\omega_1 t) + B\sin(\omega_1 t) ) [/tex]

Last edited:
[tex] \frac{T}{2} \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \sum_{m=1}^{\infty} a_n a_m\cos(\omega _n t) \cos(\omega_m t) {\left(\frac{2\pi}{L} x\right)}^2 n m \int_0^L \cos \left(\frac{2\pi n}{L} x\right) \cos\left(\frac{2\pi m}{L} x\right) dx [/tex]

Last edited:
This is not really introductory physics, but anywho, have you taken differential equations yet? This is a classic example probably found in your book if you have one on O.D.E. That post number 3 looks scary as hell to me, what is that?

Last edited:
what is that?

iii) (challenging) now consider a wave made from a superposition of modes:

[tex] \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} a_n\cos(\omega_n t)\sin(\frac{2\pi n}{L} x) [/tex]

calculate the total energy of this wave and comment on your answer.
I get the KE and PE each to be 0 by the expression in post 3. We have arguments for it being 0 and arguments against it being 0.

[tex] \alpha ^{x+n} 2 dy + \left( \alpha ^3 x^2 - 3 \alpha ^n y) dx = 0 [/tex]

[tex] f = \frac{1}{2L}\sqrt{\frac{mg}{\mu}} [/tex]

Prove

[tex] \left(\frac{ia - 1}{ia+1}\right)^{ib} = exp(-2b cot^{-1} a)[/tex] and

[tex] \sum_{n=1}^{N} \cos(2n-1) x = \frac{\sin 2n x}{2\sin x}} [/tex]

Last edited:
Whozum, are those questions with which you need help?

If so, for the second one, you could multiply numerator and denominator by 2sin(x) and write 2SinACosB as Sin(A+B) + Sin(A-B).

siddharth said:
Whozum, are those questions with which you need help?

If so, for the second one, you could multiply numerator and denominator by 2sin(x) and write 2SinACosB as Sin(A+B) + Sin(A-B).

No, I'm just using this as a tex notepad since no one was helping when I needed it. I'm good with all these.

[tex] v = \lambda f [/tex]

[tex] \lambda = 4L [/tex]

[tex] v = 4L f [/tex]

[tex] f = \frac{v}{4L} [/tex]

1. What is SHM?

SHM stands for Simple Harmonic Motion. It is a type of periodic motion in which a body moves back and forth along a straight line, with its motion being described by a sinusoidal function.

2. What are the basic equations for SHM?

The basic equations for SHM are: x = A cos(ωt + φ), v = -Aω sin(ωt + φ), and a = -Aω^2 cos(ωt + φ), where x is the position of the body, A is the amplitude, ω is the angular frequency, t is time, φ is the phase angle, v is the velocity, and a is the acceleration.

3. How are the SHM equations derived?

The SHM equations are derived using the principles of Newton's laws of motion and Hooke's law, which states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to its displacement from its equilibrium position. By applying these principles, the equations of motion for SHM can be derived.

4. What are the applications of SHM equations?

SHM equations have many applications in physics and engineering, such as in the study of vibrations and waves, pendulum motion, and oscillating systems. They are also used in the design of mechanical structures, such as buildings, bridges, and suspension systems.

5. Are there any real-life examples of SHM?

Yes, there are many real-life examples of SHM, such as the motion of a pendulum, the swinging of a child on a swing, the vibrations of a guitar string, and the motion of a mass-spring system. SHM can also be observed in natural phenomena, such as the motion of tides and the oscillations of atoms and molecules.