1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Deriving the Force on an Infinitessimal current-loop in a Magnetic Field

1. Apr 5, 2012 #1
    We're asked to derive the following equation:

[tex] F=\triangledown(\vec{m}\cdot \vec{B}) [/tex]

by evaluating [tex] F=\int I(d\vec{l}\times \vec{B})[/tex] along a sqaure loop with sides of length ε, parralel to the yz plane. The square's bottom left corner is situated at the origin.

so far I have,
    [itex] d\vec{l} \times \vec{B}= -dz \times \hat{z} \times \vec{B}(0,0,z) + dy \hat{y} \times \vec{B}(0,y,0)+dz\hat{z} \times \vec{B}(0,\epsilon ,z)-dy \hat{y} \times \vec{B}(0,y,\epsilon) [/itex]

then using taylor expansion to turn B(0,y,ε) and B(0,ε,z) into expressions of B(0,y,0) and B(0,0,z) respectively and combining like terms i've got:

[itex]
    - \hat{y} \times \left \epsilon dy\frac{\partial \vec{B}} {\partial z} \right |_{0,y,0} + \hat {z} \times \left \epsilon dz \frac{\partial \vec{B}} {\partial y} \right |_{0,0,z}
    [/itex]

the next step would be to evaluate ∫dF and the solutions manual says that,

[itex]
    \left \int dz\frac{\partial\vec{B}}{\partial y} \right |_{0,0,z}\approx \left \epsilon \frac{\partial\vec{B}}{\partial y} \right |_{0,0,0}
    [/itex]

from this point the solution comes pretty easily, but I still don't understand why the above is true. Can anyone explain this to me?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 5, 2012 #2
    Does anyone know what is wrong with the LaTex coding here?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook