1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Deriving the Lorentz Transformation from the Homogeneity of Spacetime

1. Apr 13, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that the isotropy and homogeneity of space-time and equivalence of different inertial frames (first postulate of relativity) require that the most general transformation between the space-time coordinates (x, y, z, t) and (x', y', z', t') is the linear transformation,
    x'=f(v2)x-vf(v2)t; t'=g(v2)t-vh(v2)x; y'=y; z'=z
    and its inverse,
    x=f(v2)x'+vf(v2)t'; t=g(v2)t'+vh(v2)x'; y=y'; z'=z'

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Now, I know that homogeneity implies that the transformation must be linear in x and t and that the isotropy of space implies that the coefficients can only be functions of the magnitude of the velocity (not the direction) at most. Therefore, I am stuck at the following:
    x'=f(v2)x-vf0(v2)t; t'=g(v2)t-vh(v2)x; y'=y; z'=z
    However, I am having trouble proving that f = f0. The solution I am looking at says that this follows from the homogeneity of space-time but I am having trouble using that fact to prove it.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2016 #2

strangerep

Science Advisor

Hmm. Which source/solution are you looking at? (Can you post a reference or link?)

In my derivation of this stuff, the result that ##f = f_0## emerges from the properties of any 1-parameter Lie group (which is what you're deriving here). I.e., 2 successive transformations (in the same direction) with different parameters ##v,v'## must commute. This imposes some constraints on the various functions.

4. Apr 14, 2016 #3
    http://faculty.uml.edu/cbaird/all_homework_solutions/Jackson_11_1_Homework_Solution.pdf

5. Apr 14, 2016 #4

strangerep

Science Advisor

Hmm. (Sigh.) Well, I will say that I think there are some unnecessary fudges in that solution. So I'm not sure how I can usefully help you. I could (possibly) show you (a version of) my derivation, but it would be rather different from the solution you've been given.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted