Deriving the mass conservation integral in GR

In summary, the homework statement is trying to solve for the mass conservation integral using Euler-Lagrange equations, but is having trouble doing so.
tcw

Homework Statement

Starting from a general axisymmetric metric
ds^2=g_tt dt^2 + 2g_tφ dtdφ +g_φφ dφ^2 + g_rr dr^2+g_θθ dθ^2 ...(0)
where the metric components are functions of the coordinates r and θ only.

I've managed to show (via Euler-Lagrange equations) that
g_tt dt/dτ + g_tφ dφ/dτ = E ...(1) and
g_tφ dt/dτ + g_φφ dφ/dτ = -L_z ...(2)
(where E and L_z are constants, and τ an affine parameter)

I am required to derive the mass conservation integral:
g_rr (dr/dτ)^2 + g_θθ (dθ/dτ)^2 = -V_eff (r,θ,E,L_z)
which I'm having trouble doing.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Dividing (0) by dτ^2 and substituting (1) and (2), and re-arranging gives:
g_rr (dr/dτ)^2 + g_θθ (dθ/dτ)^2 = (ds/dτ)^2 - E dt/dτ + L_z dφ/dτ ...(3)
but I'm not sure where to go from here.

I thought about trying to solve (1) and (2) simultaneously for dt/dτ and dφ/dτ to substitute into (3) but that doesn't seem to work.

I'd appreciate any help, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I've spent a bit more time and still no luck. Any pointers?

Should I latex it up to get responses?

tcw said:
Should I latex it up to get responses?
Just the fact that you didn't use LaTeX isn't itself a reason for people not to answer your question, but it would definitely help if you can put those formulas in LaTeX. I just tried reading through your question and it's kind of hard to parse with the formulas written out in text.

diazona said:
Just the fact that you didn't use LaTeX isn't itself a reason for people not to answer your question, but it would definitely help if you can put those formulas in LaTeX. I just tried reading through your question and it's kind of hard to parse with the formulas written out in text.

Thanks for your help, I'll do that then.

1. What is the mass conservation integral in General Relativity (GR)?

The mass conservation integral in GR is a mathematical expression that represents the conservation of mass in a given system. It is derived from the Einstein field equations, which describe how matter and energy interact with the geometry of spacetime.

2. How is the mass conservation integral derived in GR?

The mass conservation integral is derived by applying the divergence theorem to the Einstein field equations. This allows us to express the mass-energy density as a surface integral over a closed spatial hypersurface, known as the mass conservation integral.

3. Why is the mass conservation integral important in GR?

The mass conservation integral is important because it allows us to understand how matter and energy are conserved in the universe according to the principles of general relativity. It also helps us to study the behavior of gravitational fields and their effects on the distribution of matter and energy.

4. Can the mass conservation integral be applied to all systems in the universe?

Yes, the mass conservation integral can be applied to all systems in the universe as long as they are described by the principles of general relativity. This includes everything from small-scale systems, such as planets and stars, to large-scale systems, such as galaxies and the entire universe.

5. Are there any limitations to the mass conservation integral in GR?

One limitation of the mass conservation integral in GR is that it does not take into account the effects of dark matter and dark energy, which are believed to make up a large portion of the universe's mass and energy. Additionally, it assumes a static, non-expanding universe, which may not accurately describe the universe we live in.