Gravitational DE(?) from Schwartzschild spacetime

In summary, the conversation discusses the properties of a spinning object around a spherical mass M and the resulting angular momentum. By using calculus of variation, it is shown that the object's path follows θ=π/2 and dθ/dτ=0. The Euler-Lagrange equation is used to obtain the constant of motion, (1-rs/r)dt/dτ=const. However, there is a discrepancy in the use of E, with the textbook using it to represent "energy at infinity" while the speaker uses it to represent "energy as measured by an observer at rest with respect to the object".
cozycoz
Imagining that an object spining around a spherical mass M has angular momentum that has z-component(θ=0) only, then

$$g_{μν}\frac{dx^μ}{dτ}\frac{dx^ν}{dτ}=(1-\frac{r_s}{r})c^2(\frac{dt}{dτ})^2-\frac{1}{1-\frac{r_s}{r}}(\frac{dr}{dτ})^2-r^2(\frac{dθ}{dτ})^2-r^2\sin^2θ(\frac{dφ}{dτ})^2=c^2$$

becomes

$$(1-\frac{r_s}{r})c^2(\frac{dt}{dτ})^2-\frac{1}{1-\frac{r_s}{r}}(\frac{dr}{dτ})^2-r^2(\frac{dφ}{dτ})^2=c^2.$$
(because the object's path follows ##θ=\frac{π}{2}## and ##\frac{dθ}{dτ}=0##.)According to my professor, by calculus of variation,

$$δ\int ds=δ∫\sqrt{g_{μν}\frac{dx^μ}{dτ}\frac{dx^ν}{dτ}}=0.$$

and if we define ##g_{μν}\frac{dx^μ}{dτ}\frac{dx^ν}{dτ}=c^2≡2T##,

$$δs=δ\int{\sqrt{2T}dτ}=\int{\frac{δT}{\sqrt{2T}}dτ}=\frac{1}{c^2}\int{δT}dτ=0.$$

Therefore, by Euler-Lagrange Equation ##\frac{d}{dτ}(\frac{∂T}{∂\dot{x_μ}})-\frac{∂T}{∂x^μ}=0##, with ##μ=0## we get
$$(1-\frac{r_S}{r})\frac{dt}{dτ}=const.$$So, here goes my question finally.

By multiplying ##mc## to ##\frac{dt}{dτ}##,
$$mc\frac{dt}{dτ}=m\frac{d(ct)}{dτ}=m\frac{dx^0}{dτ}=mU^0=P^0=\frac{E}{c}$$(##U^0## represents four-velocity and ##P^0## four-momentum)

so if we compare the first and the last term, ##\frac{dt}{dτ}=\frac{E}{mc^2}## is the result that I think is correct. But my textbook tells ##(1-\frac{r_S}{r})\frac{dt}{dτ}=\frac{E}{mc^2}##.

If I use ##\frac{dt}{dτ}=\frac{E}{mc^2}##, I get differential equation below:
$$(\frac{dr}{dτ})^2+\frac{J^2}{m^2r^2}(1-\frac{r_S}{r})-\frac{2GM}{r}=c^2[(1-\frac{r_S}{r})^2(\frac{E}{mc^2})^2-1],$$

but using ##(1-\frac{r_S}{r})\frac{dt}{dτ}=\frac{E}{mc^2}##, I get
$$(\frac{dr}{dτ})^2+\frac{J^2}{m^2r^2}(1-\frac{r_S}{r})-\frac{2GM}{r}=c^2[(\frac{E}{mc^2})^2-1].$$

Could you tell me why ##\frac{dt}{dτ}=\frac{E}{mc^2}## is not correct? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
cozycoz said:
Therefore, by Euler-Lagrange Equation ##\frac{d}{dτ}(\frac{∂T}{∂\dot{x_μ}})-\frac{∂T}{∂x^μ}=0##, with μ=0 we get

$$
(1-\frac{r_S}{r})\frac{dt}{dτ}=const.
$$

Yes. This constant is usually called "energy at infinity" (more precisely it would be "energy per unit mass at infinity"). There is also another constant of the motion, since the metric is also independent of ##\varphi##.

cozycoz said:
if we compare the first and the last term, ##\frac{dt}{dτ}=\frac{E}{mc^2}## is the result that I think is correct. But my textbook tells## (1-\frac{r_S}{r})\frac{dt}{dτ}=\frac{E}{mc^2}##.

That's because your textbook is using ##E## to mean "energy at infinity" (and then dividing by the rest mass to get "energy per unit mass at infinity", as I said above). But you are using ##E## to mean "energy as measured by an observer momentarily at rest with respect to the object". Those are two different things, and only the first one (the one your textbook is using ##E## to mean) is a constant of the motion.

Oh I totally got it. Thanks a lot!

1. What is gravitational DE from Schwartzschild spacetime?

Gravitational DE (Differential Equation) from Schwartzschild spacetime is a mathematical expression that describes how mass and energy are related to the curvature of spacetime, according to Einstein's theory of general relativity. It explains how massive objects, such as planets and stars, create a gravitational field that affects the motion of other objects around them.

2. How is gravitational DE derived from Schwartzschild spacetime?

Gravitational DE is derived from the Schwartzschild metric, which is a mathematical solution to Einstein's field equations. The metric describes the geometry of spacetime around a spherically symmetric and non-rotating mass, such as a black hole. By plugging the Schwartzschild metric into the field equations, we can derive the gravitational DE and understand how gravity works in this specific scenario.

3. What are the applications of gravitational DE from Schwartzschild spacetime?

Gravitational DE from Schwartzschild spacetime has many applications in astrophysics and cosmology. It has been used to predict the orbits of planets, the bending of light by massive objects, and the behavior of objects near black holes. It is also essential in understanding the expansion of the universe and the formation of galaxies and galaxy clusters.

4. Can gravitational DE from Schwartzschild spacetime be tested or verified?

Yes, gravitational DE from Schwartzschild spacetime has been extensively tested and verified through various experiments and observations. The most famous example is the observation of the bending of starlight by the sun during a solar eclipse, which confirmed Einstein's prediction of how gravity affects light. Other experiments, such as the Pound-Rebka experiment and the Gravity Probe B, have also provided evidence for the accuracy of gravitational DE.

5. Are there any limitations to gravitational DE from Schwartzschild spacetime?

While gravitational DE from Schwartzschild spacetime has been successful in explaining many gravitational phenomena, it is not a complete theory of gravity. It does not account for the effects of quantum mechanics, and it breaks down at extremely small scales, such as in the center of a black hole. Therefore, it is still an active area of research, and scientists are working towards a more comprehensive theory of gravity that can unify general relativity with quantum mechanics.