Describing the intersection of two subspaces

In summary: However, if ##W_2 = \{(a_1, a_2, a_3) \in \mathbb{R}^3 : a_1 + 4a_2 + a_3 = 0 \}## then I would say that there is not a point on W1 that is also on W2.It depends on what they're asking for, which could be what sort of geometric object is represented by this intersection, what's its equation, what is a basis for this intersection, among others.
Mr Davis 97

Homework Statement

##W_1 = \{(a_1, a_2, a_3) \in \mathbb{R}^3 : a_1 = 3a_3,~ a_3 = -a_2 \}##
##W_2 = \{(a_1, a_2, a_3) \in \mathbb{R}^3 : 2a_1 - 7a_2 + a_3 = 0 \}##
Given that these are two subspaces of ##\mathbb{R}^3##, describe the intersection of the two, i.e. ##W_1 \cap W_2## and show that it is a subspace.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Would it be sufficient just to say that ##W_1 \cap W_2 = \{(a_1, a_2, a_3) \in \mathbb{R}^3 : 2a_1 - 7a_2 + a_3 = 0,~a_1 = 3a_3,~ a_3 = -a_2 \}## and proceed to show that it is a subspace?

Physics news on Phys.org
You should look at those equations and you can draw some strong conclusions.

FactChecker said:
You should look at those equations and you can draw some strong conclusions.
Ah, so would it be more correct to say that ##W_1 \cap W_2 = \{ (0,0,0) \}##? If I leave it in the form ##W_1 \cap W_2 = \{(a_1, a_2, a_3) \in \mathbb{R}^3 : 2a_1 - 7a_2 + a_3 = 0,~a_1 = 3a_3,~ a_3 = -a_2 \}## is that incorrect?

Mr Davis 97 said:
Ah, so would it be more correct to say that ##W_1 \cap W_2 = \{ (0,0,0) \}##?
Yes. W1 is a line through (0,0,0) and W2 is a plane through (0,0,0). There are only two ways those can intersect. Either the W1 line is on the W2 plane or (0,0,0) is the only intersection point. In this case it is the later.
If I leave it in the form ##W_1 \cap W_2 = \{(a_1, a_2, a_3) \in \mathbb{R}^3 : 2a_1 - 7a_2 + a_3 = 0,~a_1 = 3a_3,~ a_3 = -a_2 \}## is that incorrect?
It is technically correct but I assume that more is desired.

FactChecker said:
Yes. W1 is a line through (0,0,0) and W2 is a plane through (0,0,0). There are only two ways those can intersect. Either the W1 line is on the W2 plane or (0,0,0) is the only intersection point. In this case it is the later.
It is technically correct but I assume that more is desired.
So about in the case when we have
##W_2 = \{(a_1, a_2, a_3) \in \mathbb{R}^3 : a_1 - 4a_2 - a_3 = 0 \}##
If we want to find ##W_1 \cap W_2##, would this just be ##W_1## since the intersection of a line and a three-dimensional space is just the line?

Mr Davis 97 said:
If we want to find ##W_1 \cap W_2##, would this just be ##W_1## since the intersection of a line and a three-dimensional space is just the line?
Your reasoning is wrong here. Neither of these subspaces is the entire R3. Both of them are planes, and both include the point (0, 0, 0).

Mark44 said:
Your reasoning is wrong here. Neither of these subspaces is the entire R3. Both of them are planes, and both include the point (0, 0, 0).
So in that case can I only leave ##W_1 \cap W_2## like ##\{(a_1, a_2, a_3) \in \mathbb{R}^3 : a_1 = 3a_3,~ a_3 = -a_2,~a_1 - 4a_2 + a_3 = 0 \}##

Mr Davis 97 said:
So in that case can I only leave ##W_1 \cap W_2## like ##\{(a_1, a_2, a_3) \in \mathbb{R}^3 : a_1 = 3a_3,~ a_3 = -a_2,~a_1 - 4a_2 + a_3 = 0 \}##
It depends on what they're asking for, which could be what sort of geometric object is represented by this intersection, what's its equation, what is a basis for this intersection, among others.

Mr Davis 97 said:
I think you calculated that wrong. If
##W_2 = \{(a_1, a_2, a_3) \in \mathbb{R}^3 : a_1 + 4a_2 + a_3 = 0 \}##
then I would agree that ##W_1 \cap W_2## = ##W_1## since ##3a_3 + 4(-a_3) + a_3 = 0## so all the points on W1 are on the plane W2.

1. What is the definition of an intersection of two subspaces?

The intersection of two subspaces is the set of all elements or vectors that are common to both subspaces. In other words, it is the collection of all vectors that satisfy the equations of both subspaces simultaneously.

2. How is the intersection of two subspaces related to linear algebra?

The concept of an intersection of two subspaces is fundamental in linear algebra as it allows for the analysis of the relationships between two subspaces. It is also used in solving systems of linear equations and finding bases for vector spaces.

3. Can the intersection of two subspaces be empty?

Yes, it is possible for the intersection of two subspaces to be empty. This occurs when the two subspaces do not have any common elements or when they are parallel and do not intersect.

4. How can the dimension of the intersection of two subspaces be determined?

The dimension of the intersection of two subspaces can be determined by using the formula dim(V ∩ W) = dim(V) + dim(W) - dim(V ∪ W), where V and W are the two subspaces and dim(V ∪ W) is the dimension of their union.

5. Are there any real-world applications of understanding the intersection of two subspaces?

Yes, understanding the intersection of two subspaces has many real-world applications such as in computer graphics, signal processing, and data analysis. It is also used in fields such as engineering, physics, and economics to model and solve complex systems.