1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Union of subspaces: proving a biconditional statement

1. Jun 19, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let ##W_1## and ##W_2## be subspaces of a vector space ##V##. Prove that ##W_1 \cup W_2## is a subspace of ##V## if and only if ##W_1 \subseteq W_2## or ##W_2 \subseteq W_1##.

2. Relevant equations

A subset ##W## of a vector space ##V## is a subspace of ##V## provided that (a) ##W## is closed under addition, (b) ##W## is closed under scalar multiplication for all ##c \in F##, and (c) the zero element of ##V## is the zero element of ##W##.

The problem statement is biconditional. Therefore, we need to show both ##P \Rightarrow Q## and ##Q \Rightarrow P##.

3. The attempt at a solution

Demonstration that ##Q \Rightarrow P##. Let ##W_1## and ##W_2## be subspaces of ##V##. Consider ##W_1 \subseteq W_2## (or ##W_2 \subseteq W_1##). If ##W_1 \subseteq W_2##, then ##W_1 \cup W_2 = W_2##. Since ##W_2## is a subspace, ##W_1 \cup W_2## is a subspace by equality. A similar argument can be presented for ##W_2 \subseteq W_1 = W_1##. Therefore, if ##W_1 \subseteq W_2## or ##W_2 \subseteq W_1##, then ##W_1 \cup W_2## is a subspace of ##V##.

Incomplete demonstration ##P \Rightarrow Q##. Let ##W_1## and ##W_2## be subspaces of ##V##. Suppose ##W_1 \cup W_2## is a subspace of ##V##. By definition of subspaces, ##W_1## and ##W_2## contain the same zero element from ##V##. Therefore, ##W_1 \cap W_2 \neq \varnothing##: this means that the sets are not disjoint.

By definition of subspaces, scalar multiplication is closed. There exists ##c(x_1) \in W_1 \cup W_2## for every ##x_1 \in W_1 \cup W_2## and ##c \in F##. (...)

I'm not really certain how to develop this last part. I chose to work with the condition of scalar multiplication because ##c \in F## has to be the same in each subspace. I attached a picture of the situation I have. I need to show that only the subset situation follows.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 19, 2014 #2

verty

Homework Helper

You've tried to combine the zero element with closure of scalar multiplication but have succeeded. But have you tried closure of addition?

4. Jun 19, 2014 #3
    I did not succeed with the closure of scalar multiplication. I need to show that one set must be a subset of the other.

I don't see how the closure of addition helps. If I take two elements from the joined sets then their addition has to be within the joined set. The only thing I know definitively is that the zero element is in both the sets. If I had a second element that was in both sets, then I could do a lot more with addition. Yet, I don't see how P leads me to that conclusion.

I also tried a proof by contradiction, but that also gets me into this same situation.

5. Jun 19, 2014 #4

pasmith

Homework Helper

Try the contrapositive of [itex]P \implies Q[/itex]: [itex]\neg Q \implies \neg P[/itex].

Suppose [itex]W_1[/itex] and [itex]W_2[/itex] are not subsets of each other, so that both [itex]W_1 \setminus (W_1 \cap W_2)[/itex] and [itex]W_2 \setminus (W_1 \cap W_2)[/itex] are non-empty. Let [itex]x_1 \in W_1 \setminus (W_1 \cap W_2)[/itex] and [itex]x_2 \in W_2 \setminus (W_1 \cap W_2)[/itex] and consider [itex]x_1 + x_2 = z \in W[/itex].

6. Jun 19, 2014 #5
    I think this is still the same problem I'm having with my other methods.

Here ##\neg P## would be "##W_1 \cup W_2## is not a subspace of V". I don't see how ##x_1 + x_2 = z \in W## presents a problem with the closure of addition on ##W_1 \cup W_2##.

So, whatever I'm not seeing in this, is the same issue I'm not seeing in the other methods I've been trying.

7. Jun 20, 2014 #6
    For intuition it's better to think of subspaces of ##R^3## (lines, plans through the origin) than the sketch you draw

8. Jun 20, 2014 #7
    Continue from this. ##x_1,x_2 \in W_1 \cup W_2## but does ##x_1 + x_2 \in W_1 \cup W_2##? What would that mean? Can you reach a contradiction?

9. Jun 20, 2014 #8

pasmith

Homework Helper

If [itex]z \in W_1 \cup W_2[/itex] then [itex]z \in W_1[/itex] or [itex]z \in W_2[/itex]. Is either of those possible, bearing in mind that if two vectors are members of a subspace then so is their difference?

10. Jun 20, 2014 #9
    So... something like this: Showing ##\neg Q \Rightarrow \neg P##. Suppose that the subspaces ##W_1## and ##W_2## are not subsets of each other. Let ##x_1 \in W_1## with ##x_1 \notin W_2##, and let ##x_2 \in W_2## with ##x_2 \notin W_1##. (Observe that ##x_1 \neq 0## and ##x_2 \neq 0##.) By definition of a subspace, addition must be closed for all elements of the set. Then ##x_1 + x_2 = z \in W_1 \cup W_2##. This means that ##z## must be a member of ##W_1## or ##W_2## (or both).

Consider the case where ##z \in W_1##. By definition of a vector space, ##x_1## has an additive inverse, denoted ##-x_1##, and this is also an element of ##W_1 \cup W_2##. Then ## -x_1 + z \in W_1##. However, ##-x_1 + z = -x_1 + (x_1 + x_2) = (-x_1 + x_1) + x_2 = 0 + x_2 = x_2 \notin W_1##.

Now consider the case where ##z \in W_2##. By definition of a vector space, ##x_2## has an additive inverse, denoted ##-x_2##, and this is also an element of ##W_1 \cup W_2##. Then ## -x_2 + z \in W_2##. However, ##z + -x_2 = (x_1 + x_2)+ -x_2 = x_1 + (x_2 + -x_2)= x_1 + 0 = x_1 \notin W_2##.

Consequently, addition is not closed, and ##W_1 \cup W_2## is not a subspace of ##V##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted