Union of subspaces: proving a biconditional statement

In summary: W_1## and ##x_1...x_n## be in ##W_2##. Then ##x_1 + x_2 = z## is not in ##W_1## or ##W_2##, contradicting the assumption that they are not subsets.
thelema418

Homework Statement

Let ##W_1## and ##W_2## be subspaces of a vector space ##V##. Prove that ##W_1 \cup W_2## is a subspace of ##V## if and only if ##W_1 \subseteq W_2## or ##W_2 \subseteq W_1##.

Homework Equations

A subset ##W## of a vector space ##V## is a subspace of ##V## provided that (a) ##W## is closed under addition, (b) ##W## is closed under scalar multiplication for all ##c \in F##, and (c) the zero element of ##V## is the zero element of ##W##.

The problem statement is biconditional. Therefore, we need to show both ##P \Rightarrow Q## and ##Q \Rightarrow P##.

The Attempt at a Solution

Demonstration that ##Q \Rightarrow P##. Let ##W_1## and ##W_2## be subspaces of ##V##. Consider ##W_1 \subseteq W_2## (or ##W_2 \subseteq W_1##). If ##W_1 \subseteq W_2##, then ##W_1 \cup W_2 = W_2##. Since ##W_2## is a subspace, ##W_1 \cup W_2## is a subspace by equality. A similar argument can be presented for ##W_2 \subseteq W_1 = W_1##. Therefore, if ##W_1 \subseteq W_2## or ##W_2 \subseteq W_1##, then ##W_1 \cup W_2## is a subspace of ##V##.

Incomplete demonstration ##P \Rightarrow Q##. Let ##W_1## and ##W_2## be subspaces of ##V##. Suppose ##W_1 \cup W_2## is a subspace of ##V##. By definition of subspaces, ##W_1## and ##W_2## contain the same zero element from ##V##. Therefore, ##W_1 \cap W_2 \neq \varnothing##: this means that the sets are not disjoint.

By definition of subspaces, scalar multiplication is closed. There exists ##c(x_1) \in W_1 \cup W_2## for every ##x_1 \in W_1 \cup W_2## and ##c \in F##. (...)

I'm not really certain how to develop this last part. I chose to work with the condition of scalar multiplication because ##c \in F## has to be the same in each subspace. I attached a picture of the situation I have. I need to show that only the subset situation follows.

Thanks

Attachments

• nondisjointsets.png
    nondisjointsets.png
    4.6 KB · Views: 464
Physics news on Phys.org
You've tried to combine the zero element with closure of scalar multiplication but have succeeded. But have you tried closure of addition?

I did not succeed with the closure of scalar multiplication. I need to show that one set must be a subset of the other.

I don't see how the closure of addition helps. If I take two elements from the joined sets then their addition has to be within the joined set. The only thing I know definitively is that the zero element is in both the sets. If I had a second element that was in both sets, then I could do a lot more with addition. Yet, I don't see how P leads me to that conclusion.

I also tried a proof by contradiction, but that also gets me into this same situation.

Try the contrapositive of [itex]P \implies Q[/itex]: [itex]\neg Q \implies \neg P[/itex].

Suppose [itex]W_1[/itex] and [itex]W_2[/itex] are not subsets of each other, so that both [itex]W_1 \setminus (W_1 \cap W_2)[/itex] and [itex]W_2 \setminus (W_1 \cap W_2)[/itex] are non-empty. Let [itex]x_1 \in W_1 \setminus (W_1 \cap W_2)[/itex] and [itex]x_2 \in W_2 \setminus (W_1 \cap W_2)[/itex] and consider [itex]x_1 + x_2 = z \in W[/itex].

I think this is still the same problem I'm having with my other methods.

Here ##\neg P## would be "##W_1 \cup W_2## is not a subspace of V". I don't see how ##x_1 + x_2 = z \in W## presents a problem with the closure of addition on ##W_1 \cup W_2##.

So, whatever I'm not seeing in this, is the same issue I'm not seeing in the other methods I've been trying.

For intuition it's better to think of subspaces of ##R^3## (lines, plans through the origin) than the sketch you draw

pasmith said:
Try the contrapositive of [itex]P \implies Q[/itex]: [itex]\neg Q \implies \neg P[/itex].

Suppose [itex]W_1[/itex] and [itex]W_2[/itex] are not subsets of each other, so that both [itex]W_1 \setminus (W_1 \cap W_2)[/itex] and [itex]W_2 \setminus (W_1 \cap W_2)[/itex] are non-empty. Let [itex]x_1 \in W_1 \setminus (W_1 \cap W_2)[/itex] and [itex]x_2 \in W_2 \setminus (W_1 \cap W_2)[/itex] and consider [itex]x_1 + x_2 = z \in W[/itex].

Continue from this. ##x_1,x_2 \in W_1 \cup W_2## but does ##x_1 + x_2 \in W_1 \cup W_2##? What would that mean? Can you reach a contradiction?

thelema418 said:
I think this is still the same problem I'm having with my other methods.

Here ##\neg P## would be "##W_1 \cup W_2## is not a subspace of V". I don't see how ##x_1 + x_2 = z \in W## presents a problem with the closure of addition on ##W_1 \cup W_2##.

So, whatever I'm not seeing in this, is the same issue I'm not seeing in the other methods I've been trying.

If [itex]z \in W_1 \cup W_2[/itex] then [itex]z \in W_1[/itex] or [itex]z \in W_2[/itex]. Is either of those possible, bearing in mind that if two vectors are members of a subspace then so is their difference?

Likes 1 person
So... something like this: Showing ##\neg Q \Rightarrow \neg P##. Suppose that the subspaces ##W_1## and ##W_2## are not subsets of each other. Let ##x_1 \in W_1## with ##x_1 \notin W_2##, and let ##x_2 \in W_2## with ##x_2 \notin W_1##. (Observe that ##x_1 \neq 0## and ##x_2 \neq 0##.) By definition of a subspace, addition must be closed for all elements of the set. Then ##x_1 + x_2 = z \in W_1 \cup W_2##. This means that ##z## must be a member of ##W_1## or ##W_2## (or both).

Consider the case where ##z \in W_1##. By definition of a vector space, ##x_1## has an additive inverse, denoted ##-x_1##, and this is also an element of ##W_1 \cup W_2##. Then ## -x_1 + z \in W_1##. However, ##-x_1 + z = -x_1 + (x_1 + x_2) = (-x_1 + x_1) + x_2 = 0 + x_2 = x_2 \notin W_1##.

Now consider the case where ##z \in W_2##. By definition of a vector space, ##x_2## has an additive inverse, denoted ##-x_2##, and this is also an element of ##W_1 \cup W_2##. Then ## -x_2 + z \in W_2##. However, ##z + -x_2 = (x_1 + x_2)+ -x_2 = x_1 + (x_2 + -x_2)= x_1 + 0 = x_1 \notin W_2##.

Consequently, addition is not closed, and ##W_1 \cup W_2## is not a subspace of ##V##.

1. What is the definition of a union of subspaces?

A union of subspaces is the set of all vectors that can be expressed as a linear combination of vectors from two or more given subspaces.

2. What is the significance of proving a biconditional statement for a union of subspaces?

Proving a biconditional statement for a union of subspaces is important because it allows us to determine when two subspaces are equal. This is useful in many areas of mathematics, such as linear algebra and functional analysis.

3. What is the process for proving a biconditional statement for a union of subspaces?

The process for proving a biconditional statement for a union of subspaces involves showing that both sides of the statement are subsets of each other. This can be done by assuming an arbitrary element is in one side and showing that it must also be in the other side, and vice versa.

4. How does the dimension of the subspaces affect the proof of a biconditional statement for their union?

The dimension of the subspaces can greatly impact the proof of a biconditional statement for their union. If the dimension of the subspaces is equal, the proof may be simpler as the subspaces are more likely to be equal. However, if the dimension is not equal, the proof may be more complex and require additional steps.

5. Can a biconditional statement for a union of subspaces be proven using other methods besides subset inclusion?

Yes, there are other methods that can be used to prove a biconditional statement for a union of subspaces. For example, one could use properties of linear independence and spanning to show that the union of two subspaces is equal to their direct sum, which would then imply the biconditional statement.