Desert island, how to find weight

• Thread starter iamBevan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Weight
In summary, the conversation discussed the possibility of creating a measurement system for mass, distance, and time using only the resources available on a desert island. It was suggested to use relative measurements, such as using one's own body for length and a rock or coconut for mass. However, it was acknowledged that this would not be as accurate as our current standard measurements.
iamBevan
A friend asked me a question recently...

If you were washed up on a desert island - with nothing but yourself, and what the island offers (your standard desert island I guess) - how could you work out a system for mass, distance and time?

I've assumed that a system could easily be made - if you were to know your heart rate, height, and weight accurately - but that would you be your own system, relative to yourself only?

I want to know if there is a way to work out mass, distance and time, using the things we see around us - similar, or exactly as we measure it now? In the standardised sense.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, first it might be helpful to establish a measurment system that is easy to use from the available objects you have. You could simply say 1 foot is equal to the length of your feet! For mass you could start with something like a rock or coconut or whatever and use that as your basis. As for time you can measure the movement of shadow during the day and simply divide that into sections to determine the length of time. These won't be very accurate, but would be 1 way of starting out.

From there it takes more of a leap to get the standard measurements today. For one person, in one lifetim, I don't see it being possible to get "exactly" the measurements we currently use. But honestly it just depends on how accurate you want to be with the difference in the two measuring systems.

1. How can I calculate my weight on a desert island?

To calculate your weight on a desert island, you will need to know the gravitational acceleration of the island. This value may vary depending on the size and mass of the island. Once you have this value, you can use the formula Weight = Mass x Gravitational Acceleration to calculate your weight.

2. Can I use a scale to measure my weight on a desert island?

No, you cannot use a scale to measure your weight on a desert island. Scales measure weight by using the force of gravity, and since the gravitational acceleration on a desert island may be different than on Earth, the measurement will not be accurate.

3. Do I need to factor in the buoyancy of the island when calculating my weight?

Yes, you will need to factor in the buoyancy of the island when calculating your weight. Since the island is surrounded by water, it will have an upward force acting on it, which will affect your weight. The formula for calculating buoyancy is Weight = Mass x (Gravitational Acceleration - Buoyant Force).

4. How can I measure the gravitational acceleration on a desert island?

The gravitational acceleration on a desert island can be measured by using a pendulum. First, measure the length of the pendulum, then time how long it takes for one full swing. Using the formula Gravitational Acceleration = 4 x (π^2) x (Length of Pendulum / Time for One Swing)^2, you can calculate the gravitational acceleration.

5. Can I use my weight on a desert island to determine the mass of the island?

No, your weight on a desert island cannot be used to determine the mass of the island. The mass of an object is constant, while weight can vary depending on the gravitational acceleration. To determine the mass of the island, you will need to measure its volume and density.