Design an audio power amplifier

• Thread starter PhysicoRaj
  • Start date
meBigGuy
Gold Member
You have to create a virtual ground at half the battery voltage and AC couple the input and output signals.

davenn
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2019 Award
You mean like this:
yes but remember that that circuit, when I posted it, I said that using a resistor voltage divider limits the available current
you would be better off using the other circuit I showed you where you use 2 batteries

Dave

PhysicoRaj
Gold Member
The other circuit features two regulators, what if I omit them.. If I have the battery of the voltage required?

davenn
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2019 Award
The other circuit features two regulators, what if I omit them.. If I have the battery of the voltage required?
yes that is OK, the reg's in that circuit were just a progression for if a well regulated supply was needed .... feeding IC's for example

PhysicoRaj
Gold Member
yes that is OK, the reg's in that circuit were just a progression for if a well regulated supply was needed .... feeding IC's for example
Thanks

PhysicoRaj
Gold Member
This amp IC (in the attachment) , is expected to deliver around 8W to an 8ohm load. That means the rms output would be 8v.

1) looking at the circuit, the gain must be decided by the 150k & 4.7k divider, which gives a gain of ~30. (Am I right?)
I learnt the headphone jack has a max output of 1v rms. This means the output of the amp would be 15v at half input. This exceeds the figure given by the amp manufacturer. Am I wrong with the gain?

2) What is the use of those diodes going from the output to the supply? Are they a kind of protection? Do I need to incorporate them compulsarily?

Thanks.

davenn
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2019 Award
1) looking at the circuit, the gain must be decided by the 150k & 4.7k divider, which gives a gain of ~30. (Am I right?)
I learnt the headphone jack has a max output of 1v rms. This means the output of the amp would be 15v at half input. This exceeds the figure given by the amp manufacturer. Am I wrong with the gain?
so you can adjust those resistor values to give a useable gain
Also I think I mentioned in an earlier post, you should have a volume control in the input for gain adjustment so that you don't overdrive the input to the IC and cause distortion

2) What is the use of those diodes going from the output to the supply? Are they a kind of protection? Do I need to incorporate them compulsarily?
these diodes are for the protection of the IC from voltage spikes on the output
Note for a single rail PSU, as you are using, here is a valid connection for them .....

TDA2030.gif

also note, this chip is capable of around 12-14W for a 4 Ohm load and up to 18W for a 8 Ohm load

Dave

PhysicoRaj
Gold Member
Thanks. I am worried about the output because I have to run my 8ohm speaker at 8w, without knowing what the amp is ousting at the moment.. (can't measure the output on my DMM since it's not a sine). I'll have to play with the volume control and gain, and hope my load won't smoke off.
Is there a way to know the output?

davenn
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2019 Award
audio wattmeter
oscilloscope
measure the voltage across a known load resistor ( 8 Ohm)

Dave

meBigGuy
Gold Member
Depends on how accurate you need to be, what response you require, etc. Not sure what your goal is.

For example, you could build a true RMS detector with a threshold comparator and an LED, or add a VU meter, or just detect high output peaks, or whatever.

Likes PhysicoRaj
PhysicoRaj
Gold Member
Thanks! I downloaded a 1kHz sine beep. I'll play it in a loop and check the rms across the load. Then I hope I can work out the gain etc.

meBigGuy
Gold Member
LOL --- ok, you were just trying to get the gain aprox. correct. I thought you wanted continuous monitoring for some reason.

PhysicoRaj
Gold Member
:D well it'd be nice if I had some continuous monitoring, but the only thing I have (and could afford to) is a DMM.
It's enough because I just want to know when the amp is at min/max/optimum, so that I can hook up the speakers at the correct operating point.

davenn
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2019 Award
I just want to know when the amp is at min/max/optimum, so that I can hook up the speakers at the correct operating point.
that sounds a really strange statement

Dave

PhysicoRaj
Gold Member
that sounds a really strange statement

Dave
I'm not sure if the amp is going to blindly deliver 8w to 8ohms it's a function of input voltage. So to check the limit I'll have to vary both the input (volume control) and the gain, check the output on an 8 Ohm load {not sacrificing my speakers, maybe another old speaker ;)} get it to around 6w undistorted, then connect the speakers. That's what I meant.