Design an audio power amplifier

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker capabilities of an old TV, the desire to make portable speakers using an aux cable, and the need for a 6W power amplifier. The individual is seeking information on designing and choosing the appropriate components for a complementary pair push-pull circuit, including the use of a preamplifier and the role of an OpAmp in driving the output transistors. They also discuss the difference between a single rail and dual power supply, and how to create a dual rail supply from a single battery. The conversation concludes with recommendations for specific circuits and resources for further information.
PhysicoRaj said:
Is there a way to know the output?

audio wattmeter
oscilloscope
measure the voltage across a known load resistor ( 8 Ohm)Dave

Engineering news on Phys.org
PhysicoRaj said:
Is there a way to know the output?
Depends on how accurate you need to be, what response you require, etc. Not sure what your goal is.

For example, you could build a true RMS detector with a threshold comparator and an LED, or add a VU meter, or just detect high output peaks, or whatever.

Likes PhysicoRaj
Thanks! I downloaded a 1kHz sine beep. I'll play it in a loop and check the rms across the load. Then I hope I can work out the gain etc.

LOL --- ok, you were just trying to get the gain aprox. correct. I thought you wanted continuous monitoring for some reason.

:D well it'd be nice if I had some continuous monitoring, but the only thing I have (and could afford to) is a DMM.
It's enough because I just want to know when the amp is at min/max/optimum, so that I can hook up the speakers at the correct operating point.

PhysicoRaj said:
I just want to know when the amp is at min/max/optimum, so that I can hook up the speakers at the correct operating point.

that sounds a really strange statement

Dave

davenn said:
that sounds a really strange statement

Dave
I'm not sure if the amp is going to blindly deliver 8w to 8ohms it's a function of input voltage. So to check the limit I'll have to vary both the input (volume control) and the gain, check the output on an 8 Ohm load {not sacrificing my speakers, maybe another old speaker ;)} get it to around 6w undistorted, then connect the speakers. That's what I meant.