1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Designing and building a mass spectrometer.

1. Aug 5, 2006 #1
    I am a double major in EE and physics and I was thinking that a great senior project would be to design and build my own mass spectrometer. I would not only like to build the basic device, but also calibrate the device so that it provides the m/q value based on the radius of curvature caused by the B-field, and also provides the relative abundance of these m/q values, like a real mass spectrometer. I would like this to be displayed on an LCD screen of some sort possibly.

I have a good understanding of how mass spectrometers work and it seems like this is feasible. Am I out of my mind? I have 2 years before my senior design project is due, and I think I am going to get started on my project very soon. I plan on designing all of the power electronics (such as the rectifier and ripple voltage reduction circuitry) myself. Any advice or suggestions?

I want to find a project that is heavy on the E&M calculations since it is one of my favorite topics, and this came to mind. It seems like an exciting endeavor.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 5, 2006 #2

NoTime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I would think that the vacuum would be difficult to deal with.

4. Aug 5, 2006 #3
    This is what I was thinking. I would need expensive high vacuum equipment.

5. Aug 5, 2006 #4

NoTime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I was thinking more along the line of just building a case that won't implode.
    You might be able to find a pump that could empty it out enough to do something fairly cheap.
    Kind of depends on what you are willing to live with for resolution.

6. Aug 5, 2006 #5
    Well, I don't plan on building something extremely high end....just something that works. Really my goal is to just be able to pick out the m/q value with the highest abundance so I can determine the molecular weight of various substances. Once I get int othe project and start realizing that I may be able to tackle a project with higher resolution then I will consider more high end equipment.

7. Aug 6, 2006 #6

NoTime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

:cool:
    Being interested in something has always been a good enough reason for me.

Best

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?