Detecting spiked drinks.... how does it work?

• Thread starter saretta9999
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Drugs Work
In summary, the conversation revolved around a graphic design project that involves testing for spiked drinks. The individual was looking for information on the chemical reactions of common drugs used for spiking drinks. They expressed difficulty in finding relevant information and concerns about their search history. Another individual expressed sympathy for those living under constant surveillance and the importance of search history in criminal investigations.
saretta9999
TL;DR Summary
project.
Hi guys I am doing a graphic design project and I would need to know how this tests to check if your drink is been spiked works. Whats the chemical that react to the most common drugs used?

thank you so much!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
What research have you done so far? What have you found out?

Can't find anything related to the chemistry of it... I am not even sure I am using the right words when searching. I am a design student...

saretta9999 said:
Can't find anything related to the chemistry of it... I am not even sure I am using the right words when searching. I am a design student...
You could start with 'date rape drugs' in Google/wiki.

Unfortunately there is more than just one drug out there. You may get info on anti spiking that way.

It seems a bit of an odd subject for a graphics designer? More chemistry based?
Also it is not the sort of thing I would want on my search history if I was a student.

Likes Bystander, berkeman and phinds
pinball1970 said:
Also it is not the sort of thing I would want on my search history if I was a student.
I feel sorry for people who have to live with Big Sister looking over their shoulder every second.

Hornbein said:
I feel sorry for people who have to live with Big Sister looking over their shoulder every second.
If you have nothing not hide you have nothing to hide. If some guy spiked my sister's drink then I hope the authorities look into his search history when he is arrested.
It is just part of the evidence.

1. How does detecting spiked drinks work?

Detecting spiked drinks typically involves using a testing kit or strips that can detect the presence of common date rape drugs such as Rohypnol, GHB, and Ketamine. These kits work by detecting the chemical reactions that occur when these drugs are present in a drink.

2. What are the common date rape drugs that can be detected?

The most common date rape drugs that can be detected using testing kits are Rohypnol, GHB, and Ketamine. These drugs are odorless and colorless, making it difficult to detect them without the use of testing kits.

3. How accurate are these testing kits?

The accuracy of these testing kits can vary depending on the specific kit used and the conditions in which it is used. Generally, these kits have a high accuracy rate, but it is important to carefully follow the instructions and use them in the appropriate environment for the most accurate results.

4. Can these testing kits be used on any type of drink?

These testing kits are designed to be used on clear, colorless drinks such as water, soda, and alcohol. They may not be as effective on dark-colored or opaque drinks, as the color may interfere with the detection process.

5. Are there any other methods for detecting spiked drinks?

In addition to testing kits, there are also personal drink testing devices that can be used to detect the presence of date rape drugs. These devices typically involve placing a small sample of the drink onto a test strip or using a small handheld device to test the drink. However, these methods may not be as accurate as testing kits and should be used with caution.