Detection of hydrogen peroxide in water

In summary, there are several possible ways to detect the presence of hydrogen peroxide in water. Indirectly using catalase or through a redox reaction with appropriate indicators are two options. The Fenton reaction and using a colorimetric reaction with salicylic acid or iodine and starch are also potential methods. However, at low concentrations, standard approaches may not be effective and a highly specific reaction may be needed.
Topher925
Is there any relatively not difficult way to detect if hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) is present in pure water? I can think of a few obvious ways for high concentrations but what about concentrations of around 0.001mol%? Is there a way of detecting concentrations that small or smaller?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Maybe indirectly using catalase? This should quite efficiently convert any hydrogen peroxide into water and oxygen (which you might be able to capture / measure with a dissolved oxygen meter).

Alternately, given that hydrogen peroxide is such a good oxidizer, maybe do a redox reaction (with appropriate indicators) and see if anything reacts?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_peroxide#Reactions

The Fenton reaction perhaps? Fe(II) + H2O2 -> OH. + Fe(III) + OH-
OH. + salicylic acid -> 5-hydroxy salicylic acid which you can detect with HPLC. Or do you need something colorimitric?
perhaps I- + H2O2 -> I2
i2 + starch forms intense blue color.

Thanks for the replies. Using some type of redox reaction was my first inclination but wanted to know there's something out there that would better. I like the idea of having a colorimitric reaction as it would make detection very simple. I'll look into it.

I took a second look at your question - what do you mean by 0.001mol%?

No matter what you mean, my first impression was that at low concentrations standard approaches are unlikely to work. Amount of oxygen evolving during decomposition can be too low for bubbles to form. On the other hand, solution is most likely already saturated with atmospheric oxygen, so there already is a strong oxidizer in solution - if concentrations are comparable, you may be not able to distinguish between both, unless you will find a highly specific reaction.

1. How is hydrogen peroxide detected in water?

Hydrogen peroxide can be detected in water through various methods such as titration, spectrophotometry, and colorimetry. These methods involve using chemical reactions or light absorption to measure the concentration of hydrogen peroxide in the water sample.

2. Why is it important to detect hydrogen peroxide in water?

Hydrogen peroxide can be harmful to both humans and the environment at high concentrations. It is important to detect its presence in water to ensure the safety of drinking water and to monitor its impact on aquatic ecosystems.

3. Can hydrogen peroxide be naturally present in water?

Yes, hydrogen peroxide can be naturally present in water due to the breakdown of organic matter and the action of sunlight. However, it is usually present in very low concentrations and can also be produced by human activities such as industrial processes and wastewater treatment.

4. What are the potential health effects of hydrogen peroxide in water?

In high concentrations, hydrogen peroxide can irritate the skin and eyes, and can also cause gastrointestinal issues if ingested. Long-term exposure to low levels of hydrogen peroxide may also have negative impacts on human health.

5. How can the detection of hydrogen peroxide in water be used in practical applications?

The detection of hydrogen peroxide in water is used in various industries such as water treatment, food and beverage production, and pharmaceutical manufacturing. It is also used in environmental monitoring to assess the quality of water sources and identify potential sources of pollution.