1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Detector moving toward charged ring - rate of change of V

1. Sep 17, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A thin ring (radius r = 1.41 cm) carries a charge Q = 8.57 pC distributed uniformly along its length. The ring lies in the y-z plane, so the axis through its center is the x-axis .

A small detector is moving along the positive x-axis toward the ring at velocity v = -0.543i mm/s. When the detector reaches the point (5.91 cm,0), at what rate does it measure the potential is changing, in V/m? The sign will indicate whether it is increasing or decreasing.
    WP_20150917_004.jpg
    2. Relevant equations
    V = kQ / (x2+R2)1/2

3. The attempt at a solution

I honestly cannot even figure out now looking at my notes what I actually did as it was towards the morning when I did this :biggrin: but this is what I have:

V = (Q/2πε0r2)*[(x2+r2)1/2-x]

It seems I took dV/dt and got (Q/2πε0r2)* x/(x2+r2)1/2

and then plugging in values I got - 0.409 :confused:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2015 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I suggest you start again with a clear head. Your 'relevant equation' is right, but I cannot see how you got from there to your next equation. We cannot point out where you went wrong if you do not post your working.

4. Sep 18, 2015 #3

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Confusing question. The problem asks for rate of change of potential in V/m, suggesting what is sought is dV/dx evaluated at P. On the other hand, the velocity of P is also given, suggesting what is sought is dV/dt evaluated at P.
    Take your pick I guess ...

5. Sep 18, 2015 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

They could also ask how the electric field (in V/m) is changing as function of time.
    Pick one, or calculate more than one.

6. Sep 18, 2015 #5

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Yes, but then why did they give the speed? Something is odd, I just considered another option.

7. Sep 18, 2015 #6

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Sorry, I thought I had deleted my post. Yes, agreed, as I say, a confusing question!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted