Detector moving toward charged ring - rate of change of V

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 1K views
Alan I
Messages
15
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A thin ring (radius r = 1.41 cm) carries a charge Q = 8.57 pC distributed uniformly along its length. The ring lies in the y-z plane, so the axis through its center is the x-axis .

A small detector is moving along the positive x-axis toward the ring at velocity v = -0.543i mm/s. When the detector reaches the point (5.91 cm,0), at what rate does it measure the potential is changing, in V/m? The sign will indicate whether it is increasing or decreasing.
WP_20150917_004.jpg

Homework Equations


V = kQ / (x2+R2)1/2

The Attempt at a Solution



I honestly cannot even figure out now looking at my notes what I actually did as it was towards the morning when I did this :biggrin: but this is what I have:

V = (Q/2πε0r2)*[(x2+r2)1/2-x]

It seems I took dV/dt and got (Q/2πε0r2)* x/(x2+r2)1/2

and then plugging in values I got - 0.409 :confused:
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I suggest you start again with a clear head. Your 'relevant equation' is right, but I cannot see how you got from there to your next equation. We cannot point out where you went wrong if you do not post your working.
 
Confusing question. The problem asks for rate of change of potential in V/m, suggesting what is sought is dV/dx evaluated at P. On the other hand, the velocity of P is also given, suggesting what is sought is dV/dt evaluated at P.
Take your pick I guess ...
 
They could also ask how the electric field (in V/m) is changing as function of time.
Pick one, or calculate more than one.
 
mfb said:
Yes, but then why did they give the speed? Something is odd, I just considered another option.
Sorry, I thought I had deleted my post. Yes, agreed, as I say, a confusing question!