Determination elastic constants wit ultrasonic in bulk metallic glasses

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with measuring young and shear modulus using ultrasonic measurements for metallic glass rods. The formulas used for calculating these values are given, but there is uncertainty about the accuracy of one of them. A new formula is suggested for the young modulus when the rod's radius is small or broad in comparison to the wavelength.
noreau
HAllo everyone,
I had a problem with the measurement of young modulus and shear modulus with ultrasonic measurements( pulse-echo overlap technique)

For my metallic glasses rods (amorphous material) I used these formula for the calculation:

1. determination Shear modulus: G= ro * v trans^2
where ro= density of material and v trans = transversale vawe packet velocity= 2*D * nu trans
where D= height of the rods and nu trans= the found transversale frequency.

2 for Young modulus the formula that I found was quite complex and say:
first I calculated the longitudinale velocity with the same formula as for the transversale:
v long = 2*D*nu long --> and here I'm not sure of this formula !

Then I used the following two equations:
nu (= poisson ratio) = E/2*G -1 and v long = E(1- nu)/ro(1-nu-2*nu^2)
to finally come to the following formula for the young modulus:
E= ((2-3*v long ^2 * ro)/2*G)/((-v long ^2*ro/2*G^2) + 1/(2*G)

Is it this formula correct? or maybe have you another for amorphous rods?!

Thank in advance

Noreau

Engineering news on Phys.org
Longitudinal waves, still use
V2=E'/ρ
but if the rod's radius is small versus the (quarter) wavelength, E'=E
andif the rod is broad versus the wavelength, E'=E/[1-2μ2]
where I misuse µ as Poisson't coefficient.

1. What are bulk metallic glasses?

Bulk metallic glasses (BMGs) are a type of amorphous metal that have a disordered atomic structure, unlike traditional metals which have a crystalline structure. They are known for their unique combination of high strength, low density, and good corrosion resistance.

2. How are ultrasonic waves used to determine elastic constants in BMGs?

Ultrasonic waves are sent through a sample of BMG and the resulting velocity and attenuation of the waves are measured. These parameters are then used to calculate the elastic constants, which describe the stiffness and flexibility of the material.

3. Why is it important to determine elastic constants in BMGs?

Determining elastic constants in BMGs is important for understanding the mechanical properties of the material. This information can be used to design and optimize the use of BMGs in various applications, such as in aerospace or biomedical industries.

4. What are the challenges in determining elastic constants in BMGs?

One of the main challenges in determining elastic constants in BMGs is the complex and heterogeneous nature of these materials. The disordered atomic structure can make it difficult to accurately measure the velocity and attenuation of ultrasonic waves. Additionally, the presence of defects or impurities in the sample can also affect the results.

5. Are there other methods for determining elastic constants in BMGs?

Yes, there are other methods for determining elastic constants in BMGs, such as nanoindentation and resonant ultrasound spectroscopy. These techniques also use the principles of elasticity and wave propagation to measure the mechanical properties of BMGs.