Determine dy/dx of the following and simplify if possible

  • Thread starter Thread starter DevonZA
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Simplify
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11 replies · 2K views
DevonZA
Messages
181
Reaction score
6
< Mentor Note -- thread moved to HH from the technical math forums, so no HH Template is shown >[/color]

cos(x-y)=ysinx

My attempt:
-sin(x-y(x'-y')=y'cosx.x'

Yeah I'm stuck.. I know it is differentiation of implicit functions and I need to make y' the subject of the formula.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Shyan said:
Do you know that ## x'=\frac{dx}{dx}=1 ##?

I do now :smile:
 
Actually you've done something wrong. You should have ## (y'-1)\sin(x-y)=y'\sin x+y \cos x \Rightarrow [\sin(x-y)-\sin x]y'=y\cos x +\sin(x-y) ##.
Can you continue?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: DevonZA
y'= ##\frac{ycosx+sin(x-y)}{sin(x-y)-sinx}##

y'=##\frac{ycosx}{-sinx}##

Therefore ##\frac{dy}{dx}## = ##\frac{ycosx}{-sinx}##
 
Shyan said:
What happened to ##\sin(x-y)##? You can't do that!

Um it got canceled because it was the numerator and denominator of the fraction? My bad
 
DevonZA said:
Um it got canceled because it was the numerator and denominator of the fraction? My bad
If it was something like ##\frac{f(x)g(x)}{f(x)h(x)}##, then you could cancel f(x) and have ## \frac{g(x)}{h(x)}##. But here you have ##\frac{f(x)+g(x)}{f(x)+h(x)}##. you can't simplify further.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: DevonZA
##\frac{dy}{dx}## = ##\frac{ycosx+sin(x-y)}{sin(x-y)-sinx}##

Is the final answer then?