1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determine equations of the lines tangent to

1. Jun 16, 2011 #1
    The problem is:
    Tangent Lines: Determine equations of the lines tangent to the graph of Y = x√(5-x²) at the points (1,2) and (-2,-2). Graph the function and the tangent lines.

I have no IDEA where to go with this. I am taking calculus over the summer and we are in week 2 and I'm struggling..if anyone could do a step by step process here and explain I would be so grateful. Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 16, 2011 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

One of the first things you should have learned in Calculus is that the derivative of a function, at a given value of x, is the slope of the tangent line to the graph at that point on the graph. To find the slope of the tangent line at (2, 2) , find the derivative of [itex]y= x\sqrt{5- x^2}[/itex] at x= 2, then use the "point-slope" formula for the equation of the line having that slope through the line (2, 2).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook