1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determine force of water on plate

1. Oct 4, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    As water flows through the pipe at a velocity of 5 m/s, it encounters the orifice plate, which has a hole in its center. The pressure at A is 255 kPa , and at B it is 180 kPa, Assume water is ideal fluid, that is, incompressible and frictionless. Determine the force the water exerts on the plate. Consider the volume of water between A and B as a control volume and apply linear momentum equation.

2. Relevant equations
    F = d/dt ∫ρVdv + ∫Vρ(V•n)dA

3. The attempt at a solution
    Well, I have velocity of 5 m/s, which is constant.
    The density of the water should remain constant throughout time and space
    I have two pressures
    The area I used was π(200mm - 75mm)2

But I don't know what to do with volume, the integrals, anything. I don't even know if I'm using the right equation. Is this a Conservation of Energy equation instead? I know that has explicit pressure terms . . . But the problem says linear momentum . . . So do I use ρA + ρA?

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      5.2 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2015 #2
    To determine the force that the water exerts on the plate, you need to determine the force that the plate exerts on the water. To do that, you need to do a momentum balance. If the inlet and outlet flows and velocities are the same, what is the rate of change of momentum of the fluid in passing through the control volume? What is the net pressure force acting on the fluid in the control volume? What other force is acting on the fluid in the direction of flow?

Chet

4. Oct 4, 2015 #3
    So are you saying the CS integral will simply be ρV2A, and the other term will be ρV(dv/dt). Since you said a rate of change. And I don't know how to relate explicitly density and velocity to force

5. Oct 4, 2015 #4
    The rate of change of momentum within the control surface is zero:

[ρV2A]out-[ρV2A]in=0

So you don't have to know ρ and you don't have to know V.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted