1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determine how long puck takes to cross ice

1. Apr 13, 2009 #1
    i have no clue where to begin to solve this problem. Can anyone help me out and get me started please and thanks.

A hockey puck, sliding on an outdoor rink, has a velocity of 19 m/s forward when it suddenly hits a rough patch of ice that is 5.1 m across. Assume that the coefficient of kinetic friction between the puck and the rough ice is 0.47. Determine the time it takes the puck to clear the rough ice.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2009 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Are you familiar with
    1. Newton's laws and the Kinematic motion equations? or
    2. the Work-Energy Theorem?
    Start by choosing one of these methods, and then please show your attempt at a solution.

4. Apr 13, 2009 #3
    yes i'm aware of newtons laws and the kinematic motion equations but how do i go for solving for Fn so i can solve for Ff? Like, i could do Fg=mg to solve for Fn, but i dont have m so i cant do that equation.

5. Apr 13, 2009 #4
    i believe i no how to solve this question, but only if i had mass, which i dont

6. Apr 13, 2009 #5

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Maybe you don't need to know it. Try Newton's law and see what happens.

7. Apr 13, 2009 #6
    i have tried, but i am completely lost and confused

8. Apr 13, 2009 #7

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What is the nornal force in terms of m? Write it down with the letters. What is the friction force in terms of m? Write it down with letters. Is the friction force the net force acting on the puck in the x direction? If so, F_net=ma, solve for a.

9. Apr 13, 2009 #8
    okay thanks but how do i figure out normal force in terms of m? it gives me absolutly no values besides the ones in the question

10. Apr 13, 2009 #9
    n [tex ]

11. Apr 13, 2009 #10
    meiso, thats what i would like to know to lol :)

12. Apr 13, 2009 #11

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You may have already figured out the normal force in terms of m, in your 2nd post above.

13. Apr 13, 2009 #12
    so its zero?

14. Apr 13, 2009 #13

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No. In the vertical direction, the weight of the puck, mg, acts down. Since the puck is assumed to stay in contact with the ice, it is not moving vertically. So from equilibrium and newton's first law, if the weight acts down, some other force must act up to balance it. This is the normal force in this situation (F_n), the upward force of the ice on the puck. So, F_n = ______??

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook