Impulse that redirects a hockey puck 90°

• Thread starter Daltohn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Impulse
In summary: I would just double check that the units work out correctly (kg*m/s^2).In summary, the ice hockey player receives a pass and the puck glides across the ice with a velocity of 18 m/s. After a slap shot, the puck moves parallel to the side axis of the rink with a velocity of 33 m/s. Using the Pythagorean theorem and taking into account the directions of the puck's momentums, the impulse caused by the hitting force of the hockey stick is calculated to be 6.39 Ns at an angle of 28.6 degrees.
Daltohn

Homework Statement

An ice hockey player receives a pass so that the puck, with a velocity of 18 m/s, glides across the ice, perpendicularly to the side axis (translation?) of the rink. After a slap shot, the puck moves exactly parallel to side axis of the rink, towards the goal with the velocity 33 m/s. Determine the impulse (magnitude and direction) of the hitting force the hockeystick affected the puck with. The mass of the puck is 170 g.
Answer: Imp=64 Ns , direction 29°.

Sorry for the awkward translation, I hope it is comprehensible!

Homework Equations

Imp=Δp

The Attempt at a Solution

So I take it you have to use the momentum, not Imp=FΔt, since you have all the needed quantities for it. I get the direction right, both the velocity and the momentum vectors are obviously perpendicular so I just use the tangent and get the angle. I have trouble with the magnitude of the impulse however. I understand you can't directly use the equation because of the different directions but I can't fit the impulse magnitude in with the above reasoning and the directions of the puck's momentums.

Any help is appreciated. :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, Daltohn, welcome to PF!

Can you show more detail of your calculation and state the answer that you got?

I believe that 64 Ns is not the right answer.

Hi! My initial thought was to just use the Pythagorian theorem and calculate the magnitude of the vector, whose direction I had calculated to 28.6...°. I'm thinking that the impulse has to "cancel out" p1=0.17kg*18m/s, and also move give the puck p2=0.17kg*33m/s, in p2's direction. So Imp^2=3.06^2+5.61^2=40.83...→Imp=6.39...Ns.

And that is very similar indeed to the "correct answer", which means they made a typo. :) Didn't realize!

Daltohn said:
Hi! My initial thought was to just use the Pythagorian theorem and calculate the magnitude of the vector, whose direction I had calculated to 28.6...°. I'm thinking that the impulse has to "cancel out" p1=0.17kg*18m/s, and also move give the puck p2=0.17kg*33m/s, in p2's direction. So Imp^2=3.06^2+5.61^2=40.83...→Imp=6.39...Ns.

I think that's right.

What is impulse?

Impulse is a measurement of force acting on an object over a period of time. It is equal to the change in momentum of the object.

How is impulse related to redirecting a hockey puck 90°?

In order to change the direction of a hockey puck by 90°, a certain amount of impulse is required. This impulse can be provided by a force acting on the puck for a specific amount of time.

What factors affect the amount of impulse needed to redirect a hockey puck 90°?

The mass of the hockey puck, the speed of the puck, and the angle of impact all affect the amount of impulse needed to redirect the puck by 90°. A heavier puck, a faster puck, and a more direct impact will require a greater amount of impulse.

How can the direction of impulse be controlled to redirect a hockey puck 90°?

The direction of impulse can be controlled by the angle at which the force is applied to the puck. In order to redirect the puck by 90°, the force must be applied perpendicular to the original direction of motion.

Is there a limit to how much impulse can be applied to redirect a hockey puck 90°?

Yes, there is a limit to how much impulse can be applied to redirect a hockey puck 90°. This limit is determined by the mass and speed of the puck, as well as the strength and direction of the applied force. If the force exceeds this limit, the puck may experience a change in direction greater than 90° or even be knocked out of the playing area.