Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Determine limiting behavior as t goes to infinity(Differential Equation)

1. Jan 25, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Determine the limiting behavior of solutions as t [tex]\rightarrow \infty[/tex], for all possible values [tex]y_0 = y(0)[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

[tex] \frac{dy}{dt}=4-y^2[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I've obtained the constant solutions, they are -2 and 2. I sketched dy/dt to determine the monotonicity, and found that the constant solution 2 is stable. My question is whether this stable solution is what determines the behavior as t goes to infinity.

I just started taking differential equations and I'm trying to get used to the language and the nature of the questions. Since 2 is a stable solution, that should mean that all initial values of y should go to 2 as time passes correct?
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2010 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No. A solution doesn't have to approach the stable solution unless it starts out near the stable solution. Otherwise, it might just go to infinity.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook