Determine limiting behavior as t goes to infinity(Differential Equation)

• Thread starter Raziel2701
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Behavior
In summary, the limiting behavior of solutions as t approaches infinity for all possible initial values of y(0) is dependent on the stability of the constant solutions, which are -2 and 2. However, a solution may not necessarily approach the stable solution unless it starts out near it.
Raziel2701

Homework Statement

Determine the limiting behavior of solutions as t [tex]\rightarrow \infty[/tex], for all possible values [tex]y_0 = y(0)[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex] \frac{dy}{dt}=4-y^2[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I've obtained the constant solutions, they are -2 and 2. I sketched dy/dt to determine the monotonicity, and found that the constant solution 2 is stable. My question is whether this stable solution is what determines the behavior as t goes to infinity.

I just started taking differential equations and I'm trying to get used to the language and the nature of the questions. Since 2 is a stable solution, that should mean that all initial values of y should go to 2 as time passes correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
No. A solution doesn't have to approach the stable solution unless it starts out near the stable solution. Otherwise, it might just go to infinity.

Last edited:

1. What is limiting behavior as t goes to infinity in a differential equation?

Limiting behavior as t goes to infinity in a differential equation refers to the long-term behavior of a solution as t (time) approaches infinity. It describes the behavior of the solution as it approaches a specific value or values.

2. Why is it important to determine limiting behavior as t goes to infinity in a differential equation?

Determining the limiting behavior as t goes to infinity is important because it helps us understand the overall behavior of the system over a long period of time. This can provide insight into the stability and predictability of the system.

3. How do you determine the limiting behavior as t goes to infinity in a differential equation?

The limiting behavior as t goes to infinity can be determined by finding the equilibrium solutions (also known as steady states) of the differential equation. These are the values where the solution remains constant as t approaches infinity.

4. What are some common types of limiting behavior as t goes to infinity in a differential equation?

The most common types of limiting behavior as t goes to infinity in a differential equation are stable, unstable, and semi-stable. A stable solution remains close to the equilibrium value as t increases, an unstable solution diverges from the equilibrium value, and a semi-stable solution oscillates around the equilibrium value.

5. Can the limiting behavior as t goes to infinity change in a differential equation?

Yes, the limiting behavior as t goes to infinity can change in a differential equation if there is a change in the system's parameters or initial conditions. This can result in a different equilibrium solution and a different long-term behavior of the system.