1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Determine limiting behavior as t goes to infinity(Differential Equation)

1. Jan 25, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Determine the limiting behavior of solutions as t [tex]\rightarrow \infty[/tex], for all possible values [tex]y_0 = y(0)[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

[tex] \frac{dy}{dt}=4-y^2[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I've obtained the constant solutions, they are -2 and 2. I sketched dy/dt to determine the monotonicity, and found that the constant solution 2 is stable. My question is whether this stable solution is what determines the behavior as t goes to infinity.

I just started taking differential equations and I'm trying to get used to the language and the nature of the questions. Since 2 is a stable solution, that should mean that all initial values of y should go to 2 as time passes correct?
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2010 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No. A solution doesn't have to approach the stable solution unless it starts out near the stable solution. Otherwise, it might just go to infinity.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook