Determine magnetic field from figure

In summary, you need to find the magnetic field at point P in the figure below. To do so, you will use the equation B = integral[dB] = mu_0/4pi (integral[I(dL)/r^2]), where mu_0 is a constant of 4pi*10^-7, I is the current, dL is the change in length, and r is the radius. From the diagram, it can be determined that the left and right hand short wires cancel each other out due to their opposite current directions, and the beginning and ending straight lines do not contribute to the field. Therefore, the only part of the wire that contributes to the B-field is the straight line segment of length L at
scholio

Homework Statement

find the magnetic field at point P in the figure below: (see attachment)

Homework Equations

magnetic filed B = integral[dB] = mu_0/4pi (integral[I(dL)/r^2]) where mu_0 is constant = 4pi*10^-7, I is current, dL is change in length, r is radius

The Attempt at a Solution

based on looking at the diagram, i assume i as the current, to be constant, and how do i factor in the L, specifically the change in L, dL from the diagram, which length am i supposed to use/measure, is it just L/2? or is the radius r = L/2?

Attachments

• magfield.JPG
    magfield.JPG
    6.9 KB · Views: 438
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
After examining the diagram, it appears the following are true:

- The left and right hand short wires that go up have different current directions, so the fields cancel

- The beginning and ending straight lines cannot contribute to the field, since magnetic fields are normal to the current

From these, it seems as though the only part of the wire that contributes to the B-field is the straight line segment of length L at the top of the rectangle.

so using that information and the equation in the original post, dL = r = L correct?

what are my integration limits?

1. How do you determine the direction of the magnetic field from the figure?

To determine the direction of the magnetic field from a figure, you can use the right-hand rule. Point your right thumb in the direction of the current, and your fingers will curl in the direction of the magnetic field.

2. What information do you need to determine the strength of the magnetic field from the figure?

To determine the strength of the magnetic field from a figure, you need to know the current, the distance from the current-carrying wire, and the permeability of the material surrounding the wire.

3. How do you calculate the strength of the magnetic field from the figure?

The strength of the magnetic field can be calculated using the equation B = (μ0 * I) / (2π * r), where B is the magnetic field strength, μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current, and r is the distance from the current-carrying wire.

4. Can you determine the magnetic field strength at any point along the current-carrying wire?

Yes, the equation for calculating the magnetic field strength can be used to determine the strength at any point along the current-carrying wire, as long as the necessary information is known.

5. How does the shape of the current-carrying wire affect the magnetic field shown in the figure?

The shape of the current-carrying wire can affect the magnetic field shown in the figure. For example, a straight wire will produce a different field than a wire that is bent into a loop. The shape can also affect the strength and direction of the magnetic field at different points around the wire.