Determine max speed of point on string

In summary, the question is asking for the maximum speed of a point on a 2.5 m long string with a mass of 0.10 kg and a tension of 30 N. Using the equations for simple harmonic motion, we can calculate the maximum velocity to be Aw, where A is the amplitude. To find A, we need to differentiate the equation y(x,t) = 2Asin(kx)cos(wt) with respect to time while keeping x constant. This gives us v = -2Asin(kx)sin(wt)w. From here, we can solve for A and then plug it into the equation for maximum velocity to find the answer.
johnj7

Homework Statement

A 2.5 m long string that has a mass of 0.10 kg is fixed at both ends and is under a tension 30 N. (c) Determine the maximum speed of a point on the middle of the string.

Homework Equations

2 sinusoidal waves having same amplitude, frequency and wavelength / superposition

y(x, t) = 2Asin(kx)cos(wt)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea as to what to do to approach this. The point on the string is moving in simple harmonic motion, which can be modeled by y(x) = Asin(wt) and v(x) = Awcos(wt)
so maximum velocity would be Aw. Is this right? how would you find A? I'm probably approaching this wrong. Could someone give me a hint?

For parts (a) we had to solve for the speed of the waves on string, which was
v = (T/u)^(1/2) = (30/0.04)^(1/2) = 27.39 m/s
for part (b) the question was "when the nth harmonic is excited, there is a node 0.50 m from one end. what is n?
wavelength = 2L/n
distance between nodes = wavelength / 2 = 0.5
wavelength = 1 m
1 = 2(2.5) / n
n = 5, 5th harmonic

I included parts (a) and (b) to show that I did think about this problem, I just got stuck with C. any help would be appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
The equation you gave,
y(x,t) = 2Asin(kx)cos(wt)
is an equation of two independent variables.

Every point on the string is given by only a single parameter, x.

To find the velocity of any given point at any given time, with respect to what variable do you have to differentiate y(x,t) by?

right, so i need to differentiate y(x,t) with respect to t by keeping x constant
to get
v = -2Asin(kx)sin(wt)w
but then how do i get Amplitude?

1. What is the maximum speed a point on a string can reach?

The maximum speed a point on a string can reach depends on various factors such as the tension in the string, the length of the string, and the mass of the point. It can be determined using the formula v = √(T/μ), where v is the maximum speed, T is the tension, and μ is the linear density of the string.

2. How does the tension in the string affect the maximum speed of a point?

The tension in the string is directly proportional to the maximum speed of a point. This means that as the tension increases, the maximum speed of the point also increases. This is because higher tension results in a greater force acting on the point, allowing it to move faster.

3. Can the maximum speed of a point on a string be greater than the speed of sound?

No, the maximum speed of a point on a string cannot be greater than the speed of sound. This is because the speed of sound is the maximum velocity at which a disturbance can propagate through a medium, and the string would break if the point exceeded this speed.

4. How does the length of the string affect the maximum speed of a point?

The length of the string is indirectly proportional to the maximum speed of a point. This means that as the length increases, the maximum speed decreases. This is because a longer string has a larger linear density, which requires a higher tension to reach the same maximum speed as a shorter string.

5. Can the maximum speed of a point on a string be negative?

No, the maximum speed of a point on a string cannot be negative. The formula v = √(T/μ) only gives positive values for the maximum speed, meaning that the point can only move in a forward direction. In order for the point to move backwards, the string would need to have negative tension, which is not physically possible.