Deriving a formula for max. speed of a simple pendulum bob

In summary, the formula for the maximum speed V_max of a simple pendulum bob in terms of g, the length l and the maximum angle of swing Θ_max is v_max = √(2gl[1-cos(Θ)]). This can be derived by setting the energy at the top of the pendulum equal to the energy at the bottom and using the equations E = mgh and E = 0.5mv^2. By factoring out the l from 2gl(1-cosΘ), we can arrive at the final formula.
gmmstr827

Homework Statement

Derive a formula for the maximum speed V_max of a simple pendulum bob in terms of g, the length l and the maximum angle of swing Θ_max. (Hint: Use the fact that the same amount of energy at the top of the arc is the same as at the bottom of the arc.)

The picture depicts a string tied from the floor to the ceiling, and then hanging down from the ceiling most of the way down, which is swinging. It starts at the left hand amplitude. The distance from the left hand amplitude to the floor is labeled h = l-lcosΘ ; the distance to the ceiling from that point is labeled as lcosΘ. The angle is Θ and l is the distance of the string from the ceiling to where it hangs.

Homework Equations

Θ = Θ_max * cos(εt+Φ)
ε = √(k/m) = √(g/l)
g = 9.8 m/s^2
Φ = arctan{-v(0)/[ε*x(0)]}
E = 0.5mv^2
E = mgh

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the answer, according to the book, is going to be v_max = √{2gl[1-cos(Θ)]} but I'm not sure if I got there correctly. The top of the pendulum would have the same energy as the bottom, so I suppose the E = 0.5mv^2 would mean that velocity is the max velocity. Where the pendulum swings, E = mgh, since it's at the amplitude?

Maybe if I set E = mgh = E = 0.5mv^2 and solve for v_max that will help.
mgh = 0.5mv^2
2gh = v^2
v_max = √(2gh)
v_max = √[2g(l-lcosΘ)]
v_max = √[2gl - 2glcosΘ]
v_max = √[2gl(1-cosΘ)]

^^^Does that all seem correct? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, that's right, though your reasoning seemed uncertain (it was more or less correct though). Rather than distributing the 2g and then factoring, why not just factor the l right away?

Mindscrape said:
Yes, that's right, though your reasoning seemed uncertain (it was more or less correct though). Rather than distributing the 2g and then factoring, why not just factor the l right away?

Ok, awesome, thank you! And why distribute first...? I suppose it's a habit, I try to distribute everything first and then see what I can factor out to make sure nothing gets "lost."

1. What is a simple pendulum?

A simple pendulum is a weight (also known as a bob) attached to a string or rod that is suspended from a fixed point. When the bob is pulled to one side and released, it swings back and forth in a regular motion.

2. Why is it important to derive a formula for the maximum speed of a simple pendulum?

Understanding the maximum speed of a simple pendulum is important for a variety of reasons. It can help us predict how fast a pendulum will swing, which is useful in applications such as clock mechanisms. Additionally, it can provide insights into the laws of motion and gravity.

3. How is the maximum speed of a simple pendulum calculated?

The maximum speed of a simple pendulum is calculated using the formula v = √(gL), where v is the maximum speed, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s² on Earth), and L is the length of the pendulum.

4. What factors affect the maximum speed of a simple pendulum?

The maximum speed of a simple pendulum is affected by two main factors: the length of the pendulum and the acceleration due to gravity. A longer pendulum will have a slower maximum speed, while a shorter pendulum will have a faster maximum speed. Changes in the acceleration due to gravity, such as on different planets, will also affect the maximum speed.

5. Can the maximum speed of a simple pendulum ever exceed the calculated value?

No, the maximum speed of a simple pendulum cannot exceed the calculated value. This is because the maximum speed is limited by the length of the pendulum and the acceleration due to gravity. Any other factors, such as air resistance, may cause the pendulum to slow down, but it will never exceed the calculated maximum speed.