1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determine the Charge on a Particle

1. Sep 1, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

a.) Two equally charged particles, held 22.4 cm apart, are released from rest. The initial acceleration of the first particle is observed to be 4.0 m/s2 and that of the second particle is 6.0 m/s2. If the mass of the first particle is 3.40 x 10-7 kg, determine the mass of the second particle in kg.

b.)For the previous problem, determine the charge on the particles?

2. Relevant equations
    F = ma, m = f/a, e = 1.609 x 10^-19

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am able to determine the mass of the second particle which is 2.26 x 10^-7. The second question states that we should find the charge on the particles. I tried to multiply the mass of the second particle by 1.609 x 10^-19. But i dont think that is the right formular because the unit does not cancel. Pls, is there any formula for charge?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 1, 2012 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

From part a you have the force F. So for part b, you will have to apply Coulomb's Law.

4. Sep 1, 2012 #3
    The SI unit of the answer is in Couloumbs (C) mean while the SI unit of coulombs law formular is N.kg^2/C^2.

5. Sep 1, 2012 #4

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Coulomb's law describes the force between two electrostatic particles. You have the force from the first part, you just need to rearrange to get the correct quantity.

6. Sep 2, 2012 #5
    Hi,
    I dont really understand what you mean by rearrange to ge the correct quantity..

7. Sep 2, 2012 #6

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

If your formula is something like

F=kM/r

you can rearrange to get M such that

M=Fr/k

What is the formula for Coulomb's law?

8. Sep 2, 2012 #7
    F= kq1q2/r2 (Coulombs law formular)

9. Sep 2, 2012 #8

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Since the charges are equal, what does that mean for q1 and q2?

10. Sep 2, 2012 #9
    It means that q1 and q2 have thesame charge and therefore they will repel each other. As we know, like charges repel and unlike charges attract.

11. Sep 2, 2012 #10

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Right so q1=q2, which means you can replace this by q2. So in F=kq2/r just rearrange to solve for q.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook