Determine the domain and range of the function y=5−e^(−x/2).

In summary, the conversation is about determining the domain and range of the function y=5−e^(−x/2) and the person is seeking tips or resources for help. They mention not having the section in their textbook and not having experience with exponential functions.
nukeman

Homework Statement

I am having some trouble with this. Does any have some tips to get started, or a good link to a instructional video? My textbook does not have this section :(

Thanks all!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
nukeman said:

Homework Statement

I am having some trouble with this. Does any have some tips to get started, or a good link to a instructional video? My textbook does not have this section :(

Thanks all!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Do you know the domain or the range of y = ex ?

Thats a negative.

I just got to the "e" now, but my book does not explain this. So, that's why I am asking here.

nukeman said:
Thats a negative.

I just got to the "e" now, but my book does not explain this. So, that's why I am asking here.
So, you have no experience with exponential functions.

Have you ever graphed y = 2x ?

1. What is the domain of the function?

The domain of the function y=5−e^(−x/2) is all real numbers, since there are no restrictions or limitations on the values that x can take.

2. Is the function defined for all real numbers?

Yes, the function is defined for all real numbers since there are no restrictions on the values that x can take.

3. What is the range of the function?

The range of the function y=5−e^(−x/2) is all real numbers greater than or equal to 5. This is because the exponential term e^(−x/2) will always be positive, and subtracting it from 5 will result in a value that is always greater than or equal to 5.

4. How can I determine the domain and range of this function algebraically?

To determine the domain and range algebraically, you can use the general rules for finding the domain and range of exponential functions. The domain of any exponential function is all real numbers, and the range is all positive numbers. Then, by subtracting the exponential term from 5, we can see that the range of this specific function is all real numbers greater than or equal to 5.

5. Are there any values that the function cannot take?

No, there are no values that the function y=5−e^(−x/2) cannot take. As mentioned before, the domain of this function is all real numbers, so there are no restrictions on the values that x can take. Additionally, since the exponential term e^(−x/2) is always positive, there are no limitations on the resulting values of the function.