Determine the electric field that yields the desired result

In summary: I am not sure what determines whether the protons get through the plates.The electric field produces an electric force. They are in opposite directions. If they are not balanced, what happens to the proton? does it make it through?In summary, the electric field is needed in addition to the magnetic field to select only those protons with a speed of 1.60 105 m/s.
whoknows12345
A beam of protons with various speeds is directed in the positive x direction. The beam enters a region with a uniform magnetic field of magnitude 0.45 T pointing into the page, as indicated in Figure 22-45. It is desired to use a uniform electric field (in addition to the magnetic field) to select from this beam only those protons with a speed of 1.60 105 m/s; that is, only these protons should be undeflected by the two fields.

22-45.gif

(a) Determine the electric field that yields the desired result.
size: ____72000___ N/C
dir: -y dir

(b) Suppose the electric field is to be produced by a parallel-plate capacitor with a plate separation of 2.5 cm. What potential difference is required between the plates?
________ V

for part B, I understand that C=EA/d and V=IR

also, I can find I, by that I can use I=2pieRB/(4pie x 10^-7)
but I am really not sure how to find this potential difference correctly, can anyone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
whoknows12345 said:
for part B, I understand that C=EA/d and V=IR

also, I can find I, by that I can use I=2pieRB/(4pie x 10^-7)
but I am really not sure how to find this potential difference correctly, can anyone help?
You seem to be just guessing at formulas. None of the three you have identified are used here, in either part.

What is it that determines whether the protons get through the plates? What are the forces acting on the protons? How do you determine what those forces are?

AM

force acting on the proton is upwards and that should be force of the magnetic field, and I am not sure what determines whether the protons get through the plates.

whoknows12345 said:
force acting on the proton is upwards and that should be force of the magnetic field, and I am not sure what determines whether the protons get through the plates.
There are two kinds of forces: motion through the magnetic field produces a Lorentz force. The electric field produces an electric force. They are in opposite directions. If they are not balanced, what happens to the proton? does it make it through?

AM

1. How do you determine the electric field that yields the desired result?

In order to determine the electric field that yields the desired result, you must first define what the desired result is. This could be the movement of a charged particle in a certain direction or the strength of the electric field needed to produce a specific amount of force. Once the desired result is defined, you can use mathematical equations and principles, such as Coulomb's Law and Gauss's Law, to calculate the necessary electric field.

2. Can the electric field be manipulated to achieve a desired result?

Yes, the electric field can be manipulated by changing the magnitude and direction of the charges within the field. By adding or removing charges, or by changing the distance between them, the electric field can be altered to produce a desired result.

3. What factors affect the strength of the electric field?

The strength of the electric field depends on the magnitude of the charges and the distance between them. The greater the magnitude of the charges and the smaller the distance between them, the stronger the electric field will be. Additionally, the material medium in which the charges are located can also affect the strength of the electric field.

4. How can the direction of the electric field be determined?

The direction of the electric field can be determined by the direction of the force that would be exerted on a positive test charge placed in the field. The direction of the electric field is always in the direction of the force on a positive charge, and opposite to the direction of the force on a negative charge.

5. What are some real-world applications of determining the electric field that yields the desired result?

Determining the electric field is crucial in many real-world applications, such as designing electronic circuits, calculating the force on charged particles in a particle accelerator, and understanding the behavior of lightning strikes. It is also important in the study of electrostatics and electromagnetism, which have numerous applications in technology and everyday life.