Determine the equation of the tangent line

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Blablablabla
Messages
12
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



[itex]\frac{3x+6}{2-x}[/itex]

at [itex]x=3[/itex]


Homework Equations



y - y[itex]_{o}[/itex] = m(x-x[itex]_{o}[/itex])

The Attempt at a Solution



f(3) = -[itex]\frac{15}{4}[/itex]

m = [itex]\frac{3}{0}[/itex] DNE



I have to write the equation in the form of the point-slope formula.

I can get x[itex]_{o}[/itex] and y[itex]_{o}[/itex], but I am having trouble finding m.

Thanks for any help.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You didn't give an equation. I suppose it is$$
y=\frac{3x+6}{2-x}$$You need to calculate its derivative at ##3## to get the slope. You might also check your ##f(3)##.
 
Sorry, yes that is the equation. Can you help me find the derivative? I'm a bit confused because my textbook says that the derivative is

[itex]\frac{f(x+h)-f(x)}{h}[/itex]

but in class we learned that as the difference quotient, and that the derivative is when you do this:

y = x[itex]^{n}[/itex]
y' = nx[itex]^{n-1}[/itex]

Thanks for the fast reply
 
Blablablabla said:
Sorry, yes that is the equation. Can you help me find the derivative? I'm a bit confused because my textbook says that the derivative is

[itex]\frac{f(x+h)-f(x)}{h}[/itex]

That is not the derivative of f(x). You have to take the limit as ##h \to 0## to get the derivative.
but in class we learned that as the difference quotient, and that the derivative is when you do this:

y = x[itex]^{n}[/itex]
y' = nx[itex]^{n-1}[/itex]

Thanks for the fast reply

That gives the rule for differentiating powers, which is derived from the difference quotient by letting ##h\rightarrow 0##. For more complicated derivatives like your quotient, you would use the quotient rule and the power rule. Haven't you had the quotient rule?