Determine the equation of the tangent line

In summary, the equation \frac{3x+6}{2-x} at x=3 can be written in the form of the point-slope formula. The derivative of the equation can be found by using the quotient rule and the power rule.
Blablablabla

Homework Statement

[itex]\frac{3x+6}{2-x}[/itex]

at [itex]x=3[/itex]

Homework Equations

y - y[itex]_{o}[/itex] = m(x-x[itex]_{o}[/itex])

The Attempt at a Solution

f(3) = -[itex]\frac{15}{4}[/itex]

m = [itex]\frac{3}{0}[/itex] DNE

I have to write the equation in the form of the point-slope formula.

I can get x[itex]_{o}[/itex] and y[itex]_{o}[/itex], but I am having trouble finding m.

Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
You didn't give an equation. I suppose it is$$
y=\frac{3x+6}{2-x}$$You need to calculate its derivative at ##3## to get the slope. You might also check your ##f(3)##.

Sorry, yes that is the equation. Can you help me find the derivative? I'm a bit confused because my textbook says that the derivative is

[itex]\frac{f(x+h)-f(x)}{h}[/itex]

but in class we learned that as the difference quotient, and that the derivative is when you do this:

y = x[itex]^{n}[/itex]
y' = nx[itex]^{n-1}[/itex]

Thanks for the fast reply

Blablablabla said:
Sorry, yes that is the equation. Can you help me find the derivative? I'm a bit confused because my textbook says that the derivative is

[itex]\frac{f(x+h)-f(x)}{h}[/itex]

That is not the derivative of f(x). You have to take the limit as ##h \to 0## to get the derivative.
but in class we learned that as the difference quotient, and that the derivative is when you do this:

y = x[itex]^{n}[/itex]
y' = nx[itex]^{n-1}[/itex]

Thanks for the fast reply

That gives the rule for differentiating powers, which is derived from the difference quotient by letting ##h\rightarrow 0##. For more complicated derivatives like your quotient, you would use the quotient rule and the power rule. Haven't you had the quotient rule?

1. What is the equation of a tangent line?

The equation of a tangent line is a mathematical expression that represents the slope and y-intercept of a line that touches a curve at a specific point. It is used to determine the instantaneous rate of change of a curve at a given point.

2. How do you determine the equation of the tangent line?

To determine the equation of the tangent line, you need to first find the slope of the curve at the given point. This can be done by taking the derivative of the curve at that point. Then, you can use the point-slope formula (y - y1 = m(x - x1)) to find the equation of the tangent line, where m is the slope and (x1, y1) is the given point.

3. What is the point-slope formula?

The point-slope formula is a method for finding the equation of a line given a point on the line and its slope. It is written as y - y1 = m(x - x1), where m is the slope and (x1, y1) is the given point.

4. Why is it important to determine the equation of the tangent line?

Determining the equation of the tangent line is important in many scientific fields, such as physics and engineering, as it allows for the calculation of instantaneous rates of change. It is also commonly used in optimization problems to find the maximum or minimum value of a function.

5. Can the equation of the tangent line change at different points on a curve?

Yes, the equation of the tangent line can change at different points on a curve, as the slope of the curve can vary at different points. This is why it is important to specify the point at which the tangent line is being determined.