Determine the magnitude of the force on each charge

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
22 replies · 11K views
meme177
Messages
13
Reaction score
0
1. The problem

Two negative and two positive point charges (magnitude Q = 3.16mC ) are placed on opposite corners of a square (side lengths a = 0.105m )

#1. Determine the magnitude of the force on each charge.

I GOT... F1,F2,F3,F4 =7.44x10^6N (which was marked correct)

I am having trouble with this question...

#2. Determine the direction of the force on each charge.
I know (Fy/Fx)=1
so tan-1(1)=45

Its asking for θ1,θ2,θ3,θ4 and I have no idea how to get the angles :(
 
Attachments
  • 74f4a70d1ac54e4986e402b658bea139_A.jpeg
    74f4a70d1ac54e4986e402b658bea139_A.jpeg
    7.8 KB · Views: 1,103
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello meme, and welcome to PF.

If you know the tangent, you know the angle (plus or minus pi), isn't it ?
However, the "I know (Fy/Fx)=1" applies to which of the charges, exactly ? How about the other three ?

And: have you altready defined what theta is ? Or was it given ?
 
θ1,θ2,θ3,θ4
I have tried these answers (in order)
225,225,225,225=WRONG (but then I was like NO this is impossible)
Then I tried
135,45,315,225=WRONG

I don't know what to do anymore
 
the "I know (Fy/Fx)=1" applies to which of the charges, exactly ?
It can surely not apply to all four of them !
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
Charge #2 where I calculated the y and x component of the force for question #1
 
I think I see it! charge #2 is 45 ...Charge#1 (45+90=135)...charge#4 (180+45=225)...charge#3 (45+90=135) ??
 
Still a small matter of signs: my hunch for e.g. #2 is that two attracting forces from charges closer by overcome one repelling force from #4. From there, with symmetry considerations, all forces are towards the center of the square. Agree ?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
with the forces all pointing to the middle, they cancel (no movement)
Now I have θ1= -45 θ2= -135 θ3= 45 θ4=135
Is this correct, now?
 
Attachments
  • 10305973_839903772690414_5867440447459622207_n.jpg
    10305973_839903772690414_5867440447459622207_n.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 1,126
Last edited:
So theta is the angle wrt the positive x-axis.
I think you swapped 3 and 4 (in your post not in the drawing)
Movement doesn't apply here. The charges are positioned in fixed given places,
and there is no mention of how they are kept there...
 
Yes, so θ1= -45, θ2= -135, θ3= 135, θ4=45 ? Am I doing the angles wrt positive x-axis right?
 
Yes and yes, IMHO.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
meme177 said:
with the forces all pointing to the middle, they cancel (no movement)
Now I have θ1= -45 θ2= -135 θ3= 45 θ4=135
Is this correct, now?
Do like charges attract, or do they repel?
 
@Sam: Meme is talking about the net forces, I should think. The magnitude was already calculated in part #1 of post #1.
 
BvU said:
@Sam: Meme is talking about the net forces, I should think. The magnitude was already calculated in part #1 of post #1.
Okey-Dokey .
 
Mastering Physics is still counting the angles wrong :/
 
meme177 said:
Mastering Physics is still counting the angles wrong :/
Does M P want radians?

Otherwise M P may want you to specifically say, degrees, or ° .
 
no, the units are already there (degrees) counterclockwise from the +x axis
 
Here is how it looks
 
Attachments
  • photo1.jpg
    photo1.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 1,261
Maybe they want

θ1, θ2, θ3, θ4 =

315, 225, 135, 45

but I see you have only 2 tries remaining.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
I got it! ... thanks guys!
 
Attachments
  • photo1 (1).jpg
    photo1 (1).jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 967
meme177 said:
I got it! ... thanks guys!

That's good to hear.

M P really should have taken your answers with the negative angles. They give exactly the same orientation for the vectors.
 
Goes to show programmers and teachers are different, both only human.
Well done, meme and thanks for helping out, Sam.

M P should do something about this. All the physics was already in part A and part B is more like a detective to find out what their limited answer domain is.