Determine the magnitude of the net force on the loop.

In summary, A current of 3.5 A flows through both a rectangular loop wire and a straight wire, causing a force of 5.1x10^-6 N to act between them. The direction of the force can be determined by breaking it down into two forces and adding them together.
IHave

Homework Statement

A rectangular loop wire is placed next to a straight wire, as shown in the figure. There is a current of 3.5 A in both wire.

Figure: http://www.flickr.com/photos/65980314@N06/6020832477/

Homework Equations

F = ((mu(0)*I1*I2) / (2*pi*r)) * L
force in terms of current

The Attempt at a Solution

I broke it down to two forces F1 and F2 and then added them but I'm not getting the correct answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
IHave said:
I broke it down to two forces F1 and F2 and then added them but I'm not getting the correct answer.
In what direction does each force act?

oh okay, i guess I am still having trouble with determining the direction of the different fields. i was able to figure it out.

answer: F = 5.1x10^-6 N

What is the definition of magnitude?

Magnitude refers to the size or amount of something, typically measured in terms of numerical value.

What is a net force?

A net force is the overall sum of all forces acting on an object or system. It takes into account both the magnitude and direction of each force.

How do you determine the magnitude of the net force on the loop?

To determine the magnitude of the net force on the loop, you need to first identify all the individual forces acting on the loop. Then, you can use vector addition to find the overall sum of these forces, taking into account their magnitudes and directions.

Why is it important to determine the magnitude of the net force on the loop?

Determining the magnitude of the net force on the loop is important because it allows us to understand the overall effect of all the forces acting on the loop. This information can help us predict the motion of the loop and make necessary adjustments to achieve a desired outcome.

What units are used to measure force?

Force is typically measured using the unit Newton (N), named after Sir Isaac Newton. Other commonly used units include pounds (lb) and kilograms (kg).