Determine the magnitude of the net force on the loop.

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 7K views
IHave
Messages
21
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A rectangular loop wire is placed next to a straight wire, as shown in the figure. There is a current of 3.5 A in both wire.

Figure: http://www.flickr.com/photos/65980314@N06/6020832477/


Homework Equations


F = ((mu(0)*I1*I2) / (2*pi*r)) * L
force in terms of current

The Attempt at a Solution



I broke it down to two forces F1 and F2 and then added them but I'm not getting the correct answer.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
IHave said:
I broke it down to two forces F1 and F2 and then added them but I'm not getting the correct answer.
In what direction does each force act?
 
oh okay, i guess I am still having trouble with determining the direction of the different fields. i was able to figure it out.

answer: F = 5.1x10^-6 N