1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determine the x-coordinate of the mass center of the homogeneous hemisphere

1. Oct 16, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Determine the x-coordinate of the mass center of the homogeneous hemisphere with the smaller hemispherical portion removed?

I know what the answer should be it's Xcm = 45/112 R
    2. Relevant equations

The center of mass R of a system of particles is defined as the average of their positions, ri, weighted by their masses, mi

3. The attempt at a solution
    dm = pi*p*(R^2 - x^2)
    and then doing the (integral of x*(dm/dx)*dx)/integral from 0 to R (dm/dx)*dx
    which finally gives me 3/2R but this is wrong. Please someone help thanks

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2008 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

It's a little hard to tell without the integral in Latex notation, but did you remember to remove the smaller hemisphere? Why is your integration from 0 to R? And why isn't it a triple integral?

4. Oct 16, 2008 #3
    Yes I did remove smaller hemisphere from bigger which gave me 3/2R. I don't understand what you mean and what you are asking?

5. Oct 16, 2008 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

I mentioned Latex to help you post your equations in a format that is more readable. Look at the Latex Tutorial thread in the Learning Materials area of the PF:

https://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=151

I mentioned the triple integral, because what you wrote looks like a 1-D integration, and it would seem that you need to integrate over the volume of the object, no?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?