1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Determine voltage from a conductor in magnetic field

1. Apr 15, 2016 #1
    Hi,

I would like to know how to get the potential difference due to a constant local magnetic field acting on a wire moving at a constant speed perpendicular to the field. What is the link between F = q v ∧ B and the actual difference of potential in the circuit ? How to determine the induced electric field ? I have attached an image to illustrate it.

Thank you,

Bbruyne

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2016 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

4. Apr 16, 2016 #3
    Thanks for the link, very nice website. I am learning Faraday's law and I am trying to link motional emf to his law. I do understand that a squared loop of wire of length l moving with a velocity v into a stationnary magnetic field B will experience a Lorentz force and this force will induce an emf. From emf = l v∧B, with a bit of manipulation, we arrive to emf = dΦ/dt. http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/elevol.html#c3

That means that if the loop of wire is not moving but we approach a magnet into the loop, we get an induced emf. How can we justify this with the initial idea emf = l v∧B. We could say that the loop is moving relatively to the magnet but, it is moving in a parallel direction to the magnetic field of the magnet, thus v∧B = 0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted