1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determing location where electric field is zero?

1. Jan 8, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

photo.jpg

2. Relevant equations

See #1

3. The attempt at a solution

Based on the information in the question, I did what I could, but in the back of the book they have an answer of -9.9a and I have no idea how?

For the +3q on the right, I set the denominator to (2a+r)^2, since its distance would be the square of both the 2a between them as well as the additional r distance between the point and -2q. I am thinking they somehow managed to relate a to r to get rid of r, but I can't seem to figure out how I can do that or in some other way get rid of r?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 8, 2014 #2

maajdl

Gold Member

Why (r+2a) and not (r-2a) ?
    Where is the b charge located in your system of coordinates? At x=2a or at x=-2a?
    Why did you expand (r+2a)², does that make your calculations simpler?

4. Jan 8, 2014 #3
    All is correct except that (r[itex]^{2}[/itex] + 4ar + 4a[itex]^{2}[/itex]) is suddenly changed to
    (r[itex]^{2}[/itex] + 4a[itex]^{2}[/itex]).

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  5. Jan 8, 2014 #4
    Thanks, but I'm not seeing how you are getting that? Wouldn't I want to square their combined sum?

6. Jan 8, 2014 #5
    I meant that the term '4ar' must be kept and not lost on the way.

7. Jan 8, 2014 #6
    Oh, yes I did correct that on my personal scribble, just not on that page. Even after I did that however, I still end up with r values in the equation that I can't seem to get rid of as shown here: photo.jpg

8. Jan 8, 2014 #7
    This thing is due tomorrow and I haven't heard back from the professor either, so if anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears? I did change up my signs, realizing the direction should be expressed as the point from the source of the charge TO the point I am trying to locate, rather than the reverse which I started with. It's frustrating because our book didn't explain how to approach a problem like this, but our professor threw it at us.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted